What is it all about?
The ability to perform almost all tasks in the client computers from a remote location had been a biggest boon to Administrators. Endpoint Protection makes it possible to schedule full scans and LiveUpdate at specific time. Some clients miss the scheduled tasks because they maybe turned off by the users. Turning on every computer manually is a tough task. In this article, I am going to speak about how we can workaround and still make the life of administrators easier.
What would I need?
You would need a ATX motherboard with WoL connector, a NIC card with WoL support, Wake-on-Lan Utility, Latest version of Endpoint Protection Manager(MR4 and above) and a computer that is online atleast at the scheduled time(Allow me to suggest let this be a server) and finally Microsoft Excel to make life even simpler. In addition to these, you need to determine the MAC addresses and the Multicast IP(usually the last IP address in your network - x.x.x.255. In this example I am using 10.10.20.255)
How to do it?
- Enable WoL in the BIOS.
- Grab a copy of WoL tool from MatCode.Com.
- Save it to C:\Windows\
- Get a list of MAC address. In Endpoint Protection Manager, pulling a report on the client inventry will get you the MAC addresses. Discussing about this out of scope of this article.
- Open a new spreadsheet in Excel.
- In sheet1, gather all the MAC addresses in Column A, one on each row.
- In sheet2, on row 1 of column A, type ="mc-wol " & sheet1!A1& "/a 10.10.20.255"
- Drag the first row to autopopulate for the remaining MAC addresses
- Save the spreadsheet as "wake-up.txt" type:Text (MS-DOS)
- Open the file in notepad and check if it is exported correctly, save the file again as "wake-up.bat" in C:\Windows
- In a command prompt, type at 02:00 wake-up.bat /every:M,W,F
- In the Manager schedule the scans or LiveUpdate with a difference of 15 min. In this case, I configured at 2:15 every Monday, Wednesday, Friday of the week in the Antivirus and AntiSpyware Policy.
I hope this article would help you to make your Boss happy! :)