Problem: You do not see any communication logs in SylinkMonitor utility while troubleshooting communication issues.
Symtoms: You do not see any logs in SylinkMonitor after clicking on "update policy"
Solution: Since the release of SylinkMonitor utility, it has played a crucial role in helping users to capture the communication messages between SEP client and SEPM. But since the release of MR3 version, when you run the utility, you do not get any output.
Thats because you need to enable the debug logging manually in the SEP clients only then the traffic can be captured.
In order to achieve this perform the steps below:
1. Open registry
2. Locate the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\SMC\smc_debuglog_on
3. Make the value of this key to 1 if its 0.
4. Close the registry. Close the SEP client if its opened.
5. Go to Start->Run and type "smc -stop"
6. Now you will notice that the shield icon in the system tray has disappeared
7. Go to Start->Run and type "smc -start"
8. The shield icon should re-appear in the system tray now.
Now, run the sylinkmonitor tool. Right click on the shield icon and click on update policy. You should be able to see the logs starting to flow real-time in the tool
Now you have the ability to stop the tool, and analyze the logs.
You can look for the keyword 'error' in the logs.
Please contact technical support if you need further assistance with troubleshooting.