This article describes about how to deploy streamed apps on Citrix XENAPP Server.
- Publish applications under a Remote Desktop and Terminal Services environment.
- Provide steps to interoperate Citrix XenApp Server for Windows and Symantec Workspace Streaming.
The Citrix administrator installs the Workspace Streaming Agent on the Citrix server and the Citrix user launches applications from the Citrix server. Citrix and Streaming System share the same data source for authentication (Microsoft Active Directory or other LDAPserver), administrator should first provision a streamed application through the Streaming Console, and then through the Citrix Delivery Services Console.
- For demonstration purpose installed Citrix XENAPP Server in Windows 2008 64 bit OS/
- Remote Desktop Services should be installed in the machine.
- Machine should be a part of the Domain.
- Install SWS Server in another machine and upload packages to the server.
Steps to deploy applications in the Citrix XenApp Server:
- Open the Citrix Delivery Services Console from the Start Menu -> All Programs -> Citrix -> Management Consoles -> Citrix Delivery Services Console. If the Configure and Run Discovery window appears, click Next and uncheck Single Sign-On. Add the local computer, click Next and Finish.
- Expand the XENAPPDEMO (for Example) farm. Right-click on applications and select Publish Application from the contextual menu. Click Next on the initial screen and type a name for your application. This name will appear to users. For demonstration we will use "CrimsonEditor". Click Next.
- The Type screen allows you to select what kind of resource you are publishing. By default Application will be selected and under Application Type "Accessed from server" option should be selected. From the Server application type combo box select "Installed Application" and click on Next button.
- For launching applications using Citrix XenApp server we need all the applications provision information in the citrix console. The Streaming Console supports a page for accessing provision information.
To access provision Information use the following steps
- Login to the SWS console as admin user and upload crimson editor package to the server.
- Navigate to Provisioning > User. Search for administrator user and provision the crimson editor package to the administrator user.
- To select the required user (or user group), click on the check box beside the name, and then click Modify.
- Click Provision information button in the "User Provisions - Administrator" Provision page. This page shows the applications provisioned to the selected user.
- Copy the launch command for the crimson editor application as shown in the fig.
- Paste the launch command in the Citrix console and Click Next
- The Servers screen allows you to select which servers will be used for online application delivery. Click Add and add the "CTXS-XA1" from the Servers list (CTXS-XA1 is the hostname of the machine). Click OK. Click Next
- On the Users screen, click Add and select the users that you wish to have access to this application and then click on Next button. For e.g. here we have added demouser2 and demouser3.
- In the Shortcut Presentation wizard change the icon for the crimson editor application. We can add the application icon for crimson editor by accessing the package icon's folder "\XPF_CrimsonEditor 3.5_1_XP\Icons". If you want to add the Application icon to Client's desktop or start menu, Enable the Checkbox for "Add to Client's Start menu and Add Shortcut to Client's Desktop and then click on Next button.
- Click Finish in the Publish Immediately wizard
- The published crimson editor application will be listed in the Citrix Desktop Services window under XenApp->XenAppDemo-Applications
- Login to SWS console as admin user and provision Crimson Editor application for demouser2 and demouser3 users.
- Install SWS Client in the Win2k8 machine where Citrix XenAPP Server is installed.
Note: The systemtray shortcut of Workspace Streaming Agent will not be part of the desktop Session when used under the Citrix configuration. And also the GUI component of Workspace Streaming Agent will not be available for the end users.
Accessing and receiving applications:
Now you have published applications for streaming from XenApp, they are accessible to users. Accessing applications can be done in 2 ways - using a web browser or using Citrix Receiver client software. To access applications, follow the steps below.
Online application access using Citrix Receiver
- Download and install the appropriate plug-in for your device at http://citrix.com/downloads.
- To configure client access, simply configure each client to point to http://CTXS-XA1 or http://CTXS-XA1/Citrix/PNAgent.
- To access applications logon with a domain user account configured to access applications you have published from Citrix XenApp.
- Crimson Editor application shortcut will be displayed in the Client's desktop as well as from Start menu programs
- You can launch application by double clicking the crimson editor application from the client's desktop shortcut.
- Crimson Editor Application will get streamed and launched successfully. The license for the crimson editor application will get consumed as 1.
Note: When a user clicks the crimson editor application from their XP machine, the application will get streamed in their Citrix XenApp server and the license get consumed for that package on the SWS server. It will display the citrix server machines hostname in the SWS console Consumed Licenses - Host based page.
If an administrator provisions a streamed application Citrix Delivery Services Console alone., the user will not be able to launch the application and the following error will be displayed as mentioned in the screen shot.
If an administrator provisions a streamed application in the streaming console alone, the user will not be able to see the applications shortcut in the client's desktop and Start menu programs.