In this article I will show you how to restore your backed up files to alternate server. Redirect restore is very usefull in case your source machine is unavailable and you have very less RTO.
- Symantec Netbackup 7.5 on Windows Server
- Source Netbackup Client on RHEL 32 bit
- Destination Netbackup Client on RHEL 64 Bit
Following are the steps for redirect restore
- First I have taken backups of some files from source machine which need to be restore on different server.
- Verify the status of backup job, make sure the backup will be completed with status 0 code.
- I suggest to stop netbackup client services from source machine. To make sure that restore activity is running only on alternate host.
- In Netbackup console create new file with the name of No.Restriction file. Also make sure this file is not associated with any file extenstion. like (.txt or .doc)
- Path for No.Restriction file is : \Program Files\Veritas\Netbackup\db\altnames\No.Restriction
- After adding No.Restriction file, run Backup, Archive and restore tool from destination client to execute the restore process.
- In Action tab open ‘specify netbackup machine and policy type’ and select ‘standard’ for policy type and add both source and destination client name.
- Click OK to save the changes
- Browse your backup image and select your required file which you want to restore on alternate machine.
- After selecting the file click on restore button to execute restore process. Restore button is available at bottom right in client (Backup, Archive and Restore) console.
- Select the destination path where you want to restore your backup file and start the process.
- You can check the status of restore job from ‘task progress’ or from ‘Netbackup master console’.
Please refer following technote for Redirecting a restore to different client machine in Netbackup.