For one reason or another you might come into a situation were you are unable to login to the Symantec Endpoint Manager Console, Symantec provides a tool that helps to reset the admin password, this tool is placed by default in the SEP Manager installation folder which means you are required to have physical access to the OS on which the SEP Manager is installed. in this guide i am going to walk you through resetting the admin password.
For versions below than Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 Release Update 1 Maintenance Patch 1 (RU1 MP1), you may like to use resetpass.bat utility.
The Symantec Tool is a batch file located in the following path “C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\Tools”
You can use the resetpass.bat to reset the password for the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager admin account.
Note: If you change the admin account name to something other than admin and then run resetpass.bat, it changes the account name back to admin.
To reset the administrator password
1. On the computer that runs Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager, start Windows Explorer.
2. Go to the \Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\Tools folder.
3. Double-click resetpass.bat. The password is reset to admin.
4. Change the password as soon as possible.
Note: If the account has been locked out due to repeated logon attempts, the resetpass.bat tool does not unlock the account. The default lockout period is 15 minutes.
Important Note: For the Symantec Endpoint Protection Enterprise Edition, do not use the admin account when setting up Active Directory Authentication. You must use a new Administrator account to use Active Directory authentication. For more information, see the knowledge base article, How to setup a SEPM administrator account to use your Active Directory authentication.
Check these Articles:
Resetting the administrator user name and password to admin
Setting up authentication for administrator accounts
Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 Release Update 1 Maintenance Patch 1 (RU1 MP1) or greater does not use resetpass.bat and it has been removed from the Tools directory.
If you have system administrator access rights for a site, you can allow your administrators to reset passwords. A password is reset by sending an email that contains a link to activate a temporary password.
Note: You can use this method to reset a password only for the administrator accounts that authenticate by using Symantec Management Server authentication. This method does not work for any administrator accounts that authenticate by using either RSA SecurID authentication or directory authentication.
Note: A temporary password can be requested only once per minute from a single Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console.
For security reasons, entries are not verified on the server. To check whether the password reset was successful, you must check the administrator email.
If a mail server is configured, the mail server is used to send the email. If the email cannot be sent for any reason, the SMTP service is used to send the email. We recommend that you configure a mail server .
1. On the management server computer, click Start > All Programs > Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager >Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.
2. In the Logon screen, click Forgot your password?
3. In the Forgot Password dialog box, type the user name for the account for which to reset the password.
4. Click Temporary Password.
Check this article:
Resetting a forgotten password
You might come into a situation were you are unable to login to the Symantec Endpoint Manager Console and in extreme cases, you do not remember the Email address which has been set within Symantec Endpoint Protection.
To find out recipient email address with the help of following steps:
1. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\etc
2. Open mailConfig.properties file with the help of Notepad.
3. You will find following entry:
In this example firstname.lastname@example.org is the recipient email address.
4. Check the inbox of specified email address.
If there is not any specific email address then need to reset the password using resetpass.bat file from either of the Earlier version of SEP setup (if you have any)
Check this Article below and Learn how to save login credentials, Set the banner and recover login password via email
How to create a new case in MySupport
Phone numbers to contact Tech Support:-
Regional Support Telephone Numbers:
- United States: 800-342-0652 (407-357-7600 from outside the United States)
- Australia: 1300 365510 (+61 2 8220 7111 from outside Australia)
- United Kingdom: +44 (0) 870 606 6000