Sylink.xml is the file that is used for communication from SEPM to SEP Clients .
There are 4 different ways in which Sylink.xml file can be replaced on a Client.
1. Manually Replacing the Sylink
2. Sylink drop ( From CD2)
3. Sylink Replacer
4. Sylink Remote
Out of these 4 Sylink Replacer and Remote can be used to replace the sylink on more than one machine at the same time.
If we have a list of IP address/ Host name on which we have to replace the sylink replacer will be handy else it will take a lot of time to search the network for the Clients. In simple words Sylink replacer takes a lot of time .
Sylink remote works instanatlly. The moment the wizard finishes the Client is online in SEPM.
Note : When Sylink Remote runs the Client sees a DOS screen for a fraction of seconds.
How to run the SYLINK REMOTE to Replace the Sylink Remotely .
Steps to Replace the Sylink are as follows :
1. Copy of the file Sylink.xml for the desired group from the server from C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\outbox\agent\
2. Put Sylink.xml in the folder "SYLINKREMOTE" with SETUP.EXE and SCRIPT.BAT
3. Start the Migration and Deployment Wizard from the Windows Start menu.
4. In the Welcome panel, click Next.
5. Click Deploy the client (Symantec Endpoint Protection only), and then click Next.
6. Click Select an existing client install package to deploy, and then click Finish.
7. In the Push Deployment Wizard panel, click Browse, navigate to and select the SYLINKREMOTE_ENG and then click OK.
8. Approve or modify the maximum number of concurrent deployments, and then click Next.
9. In the Select Computers panel, in the left pane under Available Computers, expand the trees and select the computers on which to install the client software, and then click Add.
10. In the Remote Client Authentication dialog box, type a user name and
password that can authenticate to the Windows Domain or Workgroup that contains the computers, and then click OK.
This will work when there is no password for stopping the smc service
If there is a password to stop the service in that case we need to modify the script .
So in the SYLINKREMOTE" folder do a right click on SCRIPT.BAT and click EDIT
In the note pad identify the following line
"%programfiles%\symantec\symantec endpoint protection\smc.exe" –stop
Add -p password after " –stop where password will be the password to stop the service.
So the statement will look like this
"%programfiles%\symantec\symantec endpoint protection\smc.exe" –stop – p ********
Once this done follow the steps as mentioned above.