This is Part 2 of the "How to Series...", you can find the Part 1 here.
Here are few popular "How to..." which would be assistance to the Symantec Endpoint Protection Users.
Series 2 contains the following "How to..."
1) How to ... Deploy the Communication Settings to the SEP 12.1 RU2 clients.
If the client-server communications breaks, you can quickly restore communications by replacing the Sylink.xml file on the client computer. You can replace the sylink.xml file by redeploying a client installation package. Use this method for a large number of computers, for the computers that you cannot physically access easily, or the computers that require administrative access.
Here are the steps:
1) Login into SEPM console
2) Go to Clients Tab
3) Select the Group in which you would like to see the offline clients
4) Right click on the group and click on “Add Client”
5) Now please follow the Screenshot as mentioned below:
6) You will get “Client Deployment Wizard”
7) Select “ Communication Update Package Deployment” Option
8) Click Next
9) Select the group in which you would like to see the client
10) Leave it on “Computer mode”
11) Click Next
12) Select Remote Push
13) Click Next
14) Browse your network and add the computers to the list
15) Click Next
16) Authenticate the User
17) Click Next
18) Click Send
19) Click Finish
20) Please check the SEP client status in the SEPM, it should now show in the SEPM\Clients
Check these Articles:
Restoring client-server communications with Communication Update Package Deployment
SEP 12.1 RU2 and Reset Client Communication
2) How to... Enable Anti-MAC spoofing
1) Login into SEPM Console.
2) Go to “Policies”
3) Edit the Firewall Policy
4) Go to “Protection and Stealth”
5) ENABLE Anti-MAC Spoofing
About firewall rules
Default Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 RU1 Firewall Policy explanation
3) How to... export MSI Package to deploy the SEP clients.
Follow the steps provided below to Export client packages with / without latest definitions.
Note that screens when exporting a SEP for Mac client will appear slightly different.
1) Login into Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM).
Click on Home and from Common Tasks, select Install Protection Client to Computers
2) In the Select the Group and Install Features set window, and under the In the Content Options, select
All Content: This option will have content version at the time of the deployment.
Basic Content: This option provides small client deployment packages, the definition (content) are downloaded via LiveUpdate after client installation.
3) Select the preferred installation method. Example is using Save Package.
4) Select the way it needs to be saved (Single .exe or separate files in .MSI).
5) Before it is saved, it gives modules/details of the package.
Once confirmed, click Next.
6) Package is created at the saved location. Click Finish Button This package can be used to push to the clients at Later time.
Check these Articles:
How to export Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) client install packages without any definitions or package with Basic Content.
Creating custom client installation packages in the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console
Managing client installation packages
Exporting client installation packages
How do I create and configure a custom Symantec Endpoint Protection installation package in version 12.1?
4) How to... verify what type of database is used for SEPM ?
1) Microsoft SQL Database
2) Embedded database