A number of customers are having issues getting their SEP11 license keys upgraded to SEP12 keys, hopefully this quick blog will guide you through the process. Please note that in order for this process to work, your SEP11 license MUST be registered in the licensing portal - if not you will need to register that first.
1. Navigate to https://licensing.symantec.com
2. Enter the details you have previously signed up with (the account that is registered for SEP11) and click Login
3. Choose the “Version Upgrade” option
4. Either enter the Upgrade Notification ID you have been sent from Symantec (this is unlikely so close to launch) or click “I don’t have an Upgrade Notification ID”
5. Choose the customer number associated to your SEP license (you MUST have a SEP11 license registered in this portal)
6. Choose the Endpoint Security 12.1 notification ID (note the date, JULY 5th 2011)
7. Click Upgrade next to the product you wish to upgrade to SEP12.1
Note that if you haven’t previously upgraded an associated product (SAV for instance) then you may be prompted with the screen below. If that is the case, click “View a list of Earlier Upgrade Notifications” and work through the process until you are allowed to upgrade to 12.1.
Eventually, you will be prompted with this:
8. Tick the box “select” then click Upgrade, you may be prompted for user information
You now have a license key that can be used on fileconnect to download the SEP12.1 software. Take the license key you see on the webpage and enter it on https://fileconnect.symantec.com
You can now install SEP12. Once you have installed, you will want to follow this KB: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO55294 to get the product activated with the license you just downloaded.