Installing and Configuring Symantec Workspace Virtualization Agent using Symantec Management Platform 7, Part 1
The Symantec Software Virtualization Solution is a tool that allows Symantec Workspace Virtualization (SWV) to integrate with Symantec's Notification Server (NS), however the newer releases of SWV(.exe installation package) does not support the SVS Solution as we have moved over to Symantec's Software Management Solution (SMS) for use with NS7 (a component of Client Management Suite 7.0). SMS, NS7, DS and other components together form the Symantec Management Platform 7.0 and comes bundled inside the Client Management Suite (CMS 7.0).
However, this does not mean you cannot continue to use NS7 to properly inventory your virtual applications with newer versions of SWV-this article will cover the steps necessary to get newer versions of SWV and NS7 to work together.
This week we will cover the below:
- Creating the SWV Install package through NS 7.0 Console.
Creating the SWV Agent install package through NS 7.0 Console:
- Click on Start->All Programs->Symantec->Symantec Management Console 7.0 to launch the Console and gain access to NS 7.0.
- Click on Manage->Software->Expand Software Catalog->Deliverable Software->Click on Releases.
- Once the Releases link opens up on the right had side, click on Import.
- A new window opens up "Import Software: Specify Software".
- Select the software type as Software Release and choose the appropriate package source.
- Click on Browse button to select the package location and select the folder which stores the "Symantec Workspace Virtualization.exe" installer.
- Under Package Contents click on Display Location to show the installer.
- Select Symantec Workspace Virtualization.exe and click on Set Installation File.
- Click on next.
- In the "Import Software: Software Details", choose "Create a new software resource". The name field is auto-populated. Enter the remaining details as desired.
- Check mark the "Open software resource for editing when finished" option and click on Ok.
- A new windows opens up titled with the name that you selected under "Import Software: Software Details".
- Click on the Package Tab. The Symantec_Workspace_Virtualization.exe package is already added by now.
- Under Command line select Install and click on edit.
- The "Add or Edit Command Line" window opens up.
- Under Command Line: you will see
"Symantec_Workspace_Virtualization.exe". At the end leave a space and type /s SWV.REBOOT=ForceRestart. Enter the Success Codes as 3010,1641 (These are the MSI exit codes). Click on Ok.
- You will be taken back to previous window where you saw the package tab. Click on save changes and close the web page.
Conclusion: Now you know how to create a software resource package (installation package) for SWV using NS 7.0 Console.
Next week we will cover the below aspects in Part 2:
- Deploying the Agent through NS 7.0 Console.
- How to verify if the agent installed successfully?