Similar to how IT Analytics Solution 7.1 is accessed within the Symantec Management Platform to run and view reports for Altiris and Endpoint Management, the same can be done for customers with Symantec Protection Center. This article discusses how to configure Symantec Protection Center to manage IT Analytics Solution 7.1.
Logging on to Symantec Protection Center
- In Internet Explorer, go to https://<hostname>:9090, where <hostname> is the IP address or computer name of the server where Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager is installed. If Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager is installed on this computer, you can also click Start > All Programs > Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager > Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Web Access.
- Click the link to launch Symantec Protection Center. If the Web page security certificate warning appears, click Continue to this website (not recommended) and add the self-signed certificate to Internet Explorer. This message means that Internet Explorer does not recognize the linked site as being secure.
- On the Protection Center Dashboard, enter the user name and password.
- Default user name: admin
- Default password: admin
- When you log on for the first time with the default user name and password, on the Change Password page, type the required information. Document your changed password and store it in a secure location. You can recover the password only if you set up another administrator account.
Removing SSL Certificate Prompts
- Start Internet Explorer and in the address box, type the following URL where <hostname> is the IP address or computer name of the server where Symantec Protection Center is installed:
- On the certificate alert screen, click Continue to this website (not recommended).
- In the alert bar, click Certificate Error.
- In the Security Alert dialog box, click View Certificate.
- Under Issued to, look at the host name and confirm that it is identical to the name you used in Step 1. If they are different, start over on Step 1, using the exact name listed on the certificate.
- In the Certificate dialog box, click Install Certificate.
- In the Certificate Import Wizard, click Place all certificates in the following store, then click Browse.
- In the Select Certificate Store, click Trusted Root Certification Authorities and then click OK. Note: If necessary, you may need to check Show physical stores, then under Trusted Root Certification Authorities, click Local Computer.
- In the Certificate Import Wizard, click Finish.
- In the Security Alert dialog box, click Yes.
The Symantec Protection Center Dashboard
- Individual product management consoles
- Reports for your products
- Settings management for Symantec Protection Center accounts and integrated products
Configuring Symantec Protection Center to Manage IT Analytics
- Open the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager Console on the Symantec Management Platform Server.
- Navigate the tree view object and highlight the website that contains the Symantec Management Platform.
- This is typically the “default” website.
- Right-click on the website and select “Properties”
- Select the Directory Secuirty tab and then click on the “Edit” button in the Authentication and Access Control section.
- Check the box next to “Basic authentication (password is sent in clear text)”.
- If it is already checked, leave it alone.
- Restart the website.
- This can be accomplished by executing the iisreset command from a command line or restarting the W3SVC service.
You configure Symantec Protection Center to manage integrated products, such as IT Analytics, by registering or adding each product to Protection Center. You can perform this task at any time after you install and configure the individual products. During the registration process, you provide the logon credentials for each product. The credentials allow Protection Center to connect and communicate with your other Symantec products. After you register or add your products to Protection Center, you are automatically logged on to all your products when you log on to Protection Center.
- Whether to require a secure connection for product information
- Custom ports: The default port numbers are 8014 for the product logon, the product dashboard, and the product reports, and 8443 for the product console.
- On the Symantec Protection Center Dashboard, or on the main Settings page, click Add a product to manage.
Enter the requested information in the appropriate fields. You must provide the following information:
- Product Display Name - Any string that you want to use to identify your product in Protection Center
- New Product Type - Selected from a drop-down list of supported products (ex. IT Analytics)
- Product address - The IP address of the server where you installed the version of your product that you want to register. You can also enter a computer name.
- Product user name - The user name for the administrator account for your product
- Product password - The password for the administrator account for your product
- If you customized any communication settings when you installed the product, click Product communication settings and specify the appropriate settings.
- Click TestConnection to make sure that Protection Center can communicate with your product.
- Click Add Product.
- Click on the Dashboards tab and select IT Analytics to view the IT Analytics Key Performance Indicators, Dashboards, Reports, and Pivot Tables.