This article presents an introduction to publicly available solutions and knowledge-base for Symantec Liveupdate Administrator (LUA) product - latest available LUA version is 2.3.4. KB listing has been split in several categories to allow you for fast browsing and search of interesting topics. Both Symantec official KB resources and Symantec Connects resources have been included.
In the attachments section you can find the .pdf documents of the Symantec LiveUpdate™ Administrator User's Guide. This "knowledgebase" article will be updated as soon as any new information regarding LUA is being published or any new version of this software is released.
About LiveUpdate Administrator (from Symantec LiveUpdate™ Administrator User's Guide)
LiveUpdate Administrator is an enterprise Web application that allows you to manage updates on multiple internal Central Update servers, called Distribution Centers. Using LiveUpdate Administrator, you download updates to the Manage Updates folder, and then send the updates to production distribution servers for Update clients to download, or to testing distribution centers, so that the updates can be tested before they are distributed to production. You can download and distribute updates on schedule, allowing you to create a low maintenance, reliable system that can be set up once, and then run automatically. Updates can also be manually downloaded and distributed as needed.
Updates are downloaded from an external site to an internal LiveUpdate Administrator server. From there, the updates can either be sent immediately to a production distribution center to be downloaded by Update clients, or sent to a testing center, so that the updates can be tested. Once the updates have passed your testing requirements, they are sent to the production center, on a schedule you determine.
Important notes about the product:
- LUA 2.3.0 and previous releases utilize versions of PostgreSQL which have reached end of life. All customers using previous versions of LUA are advised to migrate to latest LUA as soon as possible.
- Vulnerability CVE-2012-0304 affects Symantec LiveUpdate Administrator version 2.3.1 and prior - Recommendation: Update to LUA version 22.214.171.124 or higher. Reference:
SYMC12-009 - Security Advisories Relating to Symantec Products - Symantec LiveUpdate Administrator 2.3 Insecure File Permissions
- LUA 2.3.2 includes a new feature for Enabling Automatic Symantec Product Catalog Updates - please check TECH201472 for reference
- In order allow LUA to provide your SEP 12.1 RU2/RU3 clients/SEPM with definitions please update your Product Catalog and select the definitions for SEP 12.1 RU2 (those definitions are being used as well by the RU3 product). SEP 12.1 RU4 client will require RU4 content to be selected in the product catalog (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH211582)
- When contacting Symantec Support for assistance regarding LUA please always collect following data:
- Collect Luadebuginfo.zip using Troubleshoot link in the upper-right corner of the LUA interface (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH92654)
- Export the LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Server Event Log in .csv format (http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO61146)
- For LUA 2.3 and above always export the LUA server's Configuration Recovery File (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH159239)
- Vulnerabilities CVE-2014-1644 and CVE-2014-1645 affect LUA version 2.3.2 and prior - Recommendation: Update to LUA version 126.96.36.199 or higher. Reference:
SYMC14-005 - Security Advisories Relating to Symantec Products - Symantec LiveUpdate Administrator Unauthenticated/Unauthorized Account Access Modification and SQL injections
- LUA 188.8.131.52 includes several feature and security enhancements (like use of HTTPS protocol and password security requirements) - see the attached 2.3.3 User guide, 2.3.x Release notes KB or check following blog: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/liveupdate-administrator-lua-version-233-released
- Export/Import workflow of configuration settings has been changed for LUA 2.3.0, LUA 2.3.1, LUA 2.3.2 migrations to 2.3.3 and involves additional manual steps. Earlier workflow as described in http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH159239 no longer applies for migrations from earlier versions to 2.3.3 but is still valid for recovery or re-installation of the same LUA version. For reference see the Liveupdate Administrator Guide_2.3.3.pdf on pages 39-42.
- The LiveUpdate Administration Utility (LUAU) 1.5.x has reached the end of life on January 5th, 2015. Users of this application should migrate to the current version of LUA 2.x in order to receive support.
- Support for Windows Server 2012 has been added in version 2.3.4
- Most recent LUA version can be downloaded from this location: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH134809
SYMANTEC KB ARTICLES
VERSIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
How to obtain the latest version of Symantec LiveUpdate Administrator (LUA) 2.x
What's new in LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x
System Requirements for LiveUpdate Administrator 2.1 (LUA 2.1)
System Requirements for LiveUpdate Administrator 2.2 (LUA 2.2)
System Requirements for LiveUpdate Administrator 2.3 (LUA 2.3)
System Requirements for LiveUpdate Administrator 2.3.1 and 2.3.2
LiveUpdate Administrator 2.3.x: Release Notes
Best Practices for LiveUpdate Administrator (LUA) 2.x
About Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 RU4 Definitions in LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x
When to use LiveUpdate Administrator?
LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x and Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager on the same computer
Is it Supported to Configure Unmanaged Symantec Endpoint Protection Clients to Update from LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x rather than the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager?
About Updating the Symantec Product Catalog in LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x
About Installing LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x on a Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 Operating System
INSTALLATION / CONFIGURATION:
How to configure Apache web server as HTTP Distribution Center for LiveUpdate Administrator?
How to understand the file extensions of Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 updates in LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x
Installing and Configuring LiveUpdate Administrator (LUA)
LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x installation walk through
How to backup and restore LiveUpdate Administrator (LUA) configuration in LUA 2.3
How much hard disk space is consumed by LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x for content updates?
How To Determine the Corresponding Product for a LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x File
LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x: What product selections are needed for specific versions of Symantec Endpoint Protection?
Type of files and extensions associated with definitions in LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x with Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1
Configuring LiveUpdate Administrator (LUA) to download updates from another LUA Server
Updating downloads in an internal LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Server using the downloads from an external LiveUpdate Server
How to distribute definition content from a LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x (LUA 2.x) server to an isolated network.
How to configure a LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Distribution Center to use the UNC protocol
How to configure a Windows Server 2008 as a Distribution Center for LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x content
HOW TO change the LiveUpdate source of an unmanaged Windows Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 Client
LiveUpdate Administrator version 2.3.3 installer reports no errors but LUA PostgreSQL service is not installed
Unable to view Clu-Prod using a Web Browser in latest version of LiveUpdate Administrator
LiveUpdate Administrator fails to authenticate to proxy servers during content download
>LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x (LUA 2.x) returns the message "No Updates are currently available for the products selected in this schedule" when attempting to download new updates.
How to safely delete a LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Distribution Center
What to do if you have Manually Deleted Files from a LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Distribution Center?
Moving LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x content to different folders or disk volumes
Verifying LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Purge Operations
LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Retains Older Symantec Endpoint Protection for Macintosh Hub definitions
LUA 2.3.x no Longer downloads new content as different symptoms when using bluecoat proxy server
Some LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Servers Fail to Provide Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 RU2 Definitions
LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Download tasks fail at 98% or 99%, "Failed to commit and move updates" - "a different object with the same identifier value was already associated with the session"
How to Collect Troubleshooting Information from LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x
How to Export the LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Server Event Log
Exporting Client Settings for Windows and Java LiveUpdate Clients from the LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x
PERFORMANCE / TUNING:
LiveUpdate Administrator 2.2 Performance Tuning
Tuning LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x's PostgreSQL Database
UPDATING OTHER PRODUCTS VIA LUA:
Configuring Symantec Mail Security for Domino to Update from an internal LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Server
About updating Brightmail Antispam definitions from LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x or other local repository server
Distributing virus definitions for Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) via LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x.
How to use LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x with Symantec Security Information Manager 4.5, 4.6, 4.7 and SSIM Event Collectors
Updating Symantec Mobile Security 7.2 Devices from an Internal LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Server
Updating Windows Mobile Devices from an Internal LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Server
LiveUpdate Administrator 2.3 Vulnerability - Please Upgrade!
Managing LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Space Usage.
LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Server Connection Recommendations
A Helpful LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Analogy
LiveUpdate Administrator: Product Selection Guide
How Big are Current Symantec Endpoint Protection Definitions?
INSTALLATION / CONFIGURATION:
LiveUpdate Administrator: How to configure a remote Distribution Center
Installation and configuration of LUA
Configuring Distribution Center in LUA
Group Update Provider v/s Liveupdate Administrator
Using IIS Logs to Check LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Health
Illustrated Guide to Configuring LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x for SMSMSE 6.5.5
SYMANTEC CONNECT VIDEOS
LiveUpdate Administrator: How to configure a remote Distribution Center
Install LUA (Live Update Administrator) and Configure for Symantec Endpoint Protection
LiveUpdate Administrator 2.3: What's New