LiveUpdate Administrator: How to configure a remote Distribution Center
This article provides guidance on how to configure a remote Distribution Center. A short video is also available to provide additional guidance on this topic: http://www.symantec.com/connect/videos/liveupdate-administrator-how-configure-remote-distribution-center.
Remote Distribution Center, based upon Windows 2008 R2 (IIS 7.5)
- Ensure IIS is installed on the Windows 2008 R2 machine that will run the Remote Distribution Center.
- Ensure the IIS 'WebDAV Publishing' and 'Basic Authentication' role services are installed.
- Create a new Windows domain user account named 'LUA_PUSH'. Set the properties of the user account so the associated password won't expire.
- Create a new directory via Windows Explorer named 'LUA' which will store the distributed LUA content.
- Edit the properties of the directory and ensure the 'LUA_PUSH' user account has READ, WRITE and LIST FOLDER CONTENT permissions.
- Launch the IIS Manager.
- Create a new website (that will host the remote distribution center) and link it to the directory you created via Windows Explorer.
- Configure the new website as follows:
- Directory Browsing > Enabled
- Authentication > Disable ANONYMOUS, enable BASIC.
- Handling Mappings > For 'OPTIONSVerbHandler', select 'WebDAVModule' as the 'Handler'.
- MIME Types > Add a MIME TYPE with '.*' in 'File name extension' field and 'application/octet-stream' in 'MIME type' field.
- WebDAV Authoring Rules > 'Enable WebDAV'.
- WebDAV Authoring Rules > 'Add Authoring Rule' then select 'All content', set specified user = 'LUA_PUSH' and put a check beside all permission types.
- Launch Internet Explorer and attempt to connect to the exact URL of the created website. A prompt to enter credentials should appear. Enter the credentials for the 'LUA_PUSH' user account and verify if is possible view the directory.
- Via the LiveUpdate Administrator console, add a new 'Distribution Center' or 'Distribution Location'. Enter the appropriate details to ensure a successful connection to the newly created remote distribution center.
- Highlight the newly created 'Distribution Center' or 'Distribution Location' and click 'Test' to ensure a connection completes successfully.
- How to configure for Windows 2008 (IIS 7.0): http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH132545
- Troubleshooting connection errors: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176188