This document was written by me as a supplement to the Symantec provided instructions for the installation of the Symantec Management Platform (SMP) 7.1 beta. This document will focus on the NS portion of the environment. There is a separate document that addresses the SQL configuration itself and can be considered a companion document.
While every environment varies, I tried to ensure that the contents of this document are as universal as possible. As such, they take into account the defaults set at installation time. If you change settings, such as the default database name during your install, then you would need to ensure that you take that into account while reading through this document.
If you are like me, and a few of the others that I have seen in the forums, then this document, with a bit of luck, help you out by pointing out some specifics that I did not see documented elsewhere. This document contains steps to be taken to ensure your environment is correctly configured assuming that you have already installed the OS, the software, and the database.
Since every Microsoft Windows imaged used and every SQL installation may be slightly different, some of the items here may not be applicable to you. I will not get into how an environment should be built, but focus on what the steps and pre-requisites I found I needed to get the SMP 7.1 beta installed. With every environment being different, you may find that some, or even most of this document may not be applicable to you. My hope is that this will help someone out there.
2. These steps need to be done before you begin the installation of the Symantec Installation Manager (SIM). SIM is a pre-requisite for the installation of the SMP.
2.1. On your NS ensure that these users in the local administrators group on the server:
1. The account that you logged into the server as to do the install.
2. The application identity (a newly created service account in our instance).
3. There may be other identities that you may need to add in here based upon your environment and any integrations you have with other products such as Workflow, Wise packaging studio, existing DS environment. There are too many possible scenarios to cover, so I will leave it at this.
2.2. Ensure that the application identity of the SMP is added into the Domain Admins Group.
2.3. Install Features
1. Right click ‘My Computer’ and select ‘Manage.
2. Click on ‘Features’ in the left column then click ‘Add Feature’ in the right pane. Please note that the current list of features in the center pane may or may not be the same on your system.
3. Add a check next to ‘WCF Activation’ under ‘.NET Framework 3.5.1 Features and click Next:
Please note that if a pop-up window appears that prompts you to add additional services you should always click the ‘Add Required Role Services’ button to accept.
4. Click ‘Next’:
5. Add checks to the following sections in each screenshot then click ‘Next’
o Under Common HTTP Features
o Under Application Development:
o Under Security:
o Under Management Tools:
6. Click Install:
7. When done, review and correct any failures, then click ‘Close’:
2.4. I had to disable the Windows firewall. I would not do this unless you have tried everything else and receive approval from your respective security department. You can complete this yourself by following these steps:
1. In Server Manager, click on Windows Firewall properties:
2. Change the Firewall state to OFF on the Domain Profile Tab, then click Apply and OK.
3. Change the Firewall state to OFF on the Private Profile Tab, then click Apply and OK.
4. Change the Firewall state to OFF on the Public Profile Tab, then click Apply and OK.
2.5. I had to disable IE ESC. I would not do this unless you have tried everything else and receive approval from your respective security department. You can complete this yourself by following these steps:
1. Click on ‘Server Manager’ in the left pane and then click on ‘Configure IE ESC’ in the right pane:
2. Check ‘Off’ for the Administrators and Users then click ‘OK’:
2.6. Reboot after all is said and done to ensure you server comes back up nice and clean.
2.7. Proceed with the standard installation of SIM and ultimately SMP.