Some Network Discovery users are not satisfied with default Network Discovery functionality. Once a network discovery task is completed, it is difficult to determinate unknown devices. Default reports show devices based on discovery task instances. This approach may be misleading. You have almost no standard tools to troubleshoot for the specific unknown device.
This extension pack contains reports and right click actions to help Network Discovery be more user-friendly.
Network Resource Summary report – chart report that shows all network devices in your environment. Report is based on resources, so you can see all of your network resources
Network Resource Summary Drilldown report – drilldown from report above. You can see "Last Seen" field from network device discovery task instances details and SNMP details. There is a "network device type" parameter
Right click actions
Grep logs right click action – shows you detail network discovery log information about specific device
Nmap right click action – scan ports on devices. Nmap is quicker and more flexible than default port scan action
Snmpwalk right click action – get detail snmp information from device
How to install this extension pack:
1. Enable logging for Network discovery by following this article (use LogLevel=Verbose) http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO10865
2. Download and install some opensource command line tools (use default install paths)
- Nmap and winpcap to scan ports on devices
- Cygwin to get grep an iconv tools on windows (don’t forget to include iconv within installation process)
- Snmpwalk to get snmp details from devices
3. Import all xml files (reports and right click actions)
download attached zip file
Do not forget to rerun your network discovery tasks to get logs.
This article is a basic example how you can extend default Altiris functionality with simple customizations.