Possible causes of the Journal Connector to stop journaling :
Cause 1 :
Two or more Compliance Accelerator Customers exist in the environment, where these Customers share the same Compliance Accelerator Configuration database AND more than 1 Customer's properties has a blank for the VaultID(s) entry. To check for this, on Enterprise Vault Server in Enterprise Vault Log will have an error entry with the description stating the default customer could not be determined.
Event ID: 274
APP JC - Could not initialize the Accelerator sampler : System.Exception: Default: Customer unknown
Also, looking at the Customers in the Enterprise Vault EVBAAdmin site on the Compliance Accelerator server, clicking on each customer in the left pane will display the properties in the right pane where the VaultID(s): field Compliance Accelerator be easily viewed. In environments where multiple Compliance Accelerator Customers exist within the same Compliance Accelerator Configuration database, one and only one Customer must be considered the default customer into which all items not targeted for other customers are placed. For all other CA Customers, determine which Journal Archives they should be selecting for Random Sampling and populate the VaultID of the Customers with the appropriate information:
1. Open the EV Administration Console as a user with rights to view the Archives and Archive Properties (typically the Vault Service Account (VSA)) and browse to Console Root > Enterprise Vault > Directory on ... > Site > Archives > Exchange Journal (or Domino Journal as the case may be).
2. Find the appropriate Journal Archive and right-click the Archive > Properties > Advanced tab. Copy the Archive ID and paste into Notepad.
3. Log on to the CA Server as a user with rights to administer CA (typically the VSA), open a web browser and browse to the EVBAAdmin webpage, usually at http://localhost/EVBAAdmin .
4. Expand the CA Server and right-click on the appropriate CA Customer > Properties.
5. Paste the VaultID of the Journal Archive into the 'VaultID(s):' field. Can enter additional Vault IDs if this CA Customer will be Sampling from multiple Journal Archives. Click OK when complete.
6. Repeat for any additional CA Customers as required.
7. Verify there is one CA Customer with a blank 'VaultID(s):' field.
8. Restart the Task Controller Service on each of the EV Journaling Servers to allow the Journal Connector to register the new settings.
Cause 2 :
An Upgrade to Compliance Accelerator has been started, but not fully completed. When Compliance Accelerator is upgraded, the Compliance Accelerator Configuration database is the first database to be upgraded after the upgraded binaries (the exe, dll, etc files) are installed. After the Compliance Accelerator Configuration database upgrade has completed, each Compliance Accelerator Customer must be upgraded. After all Compliance Accelerator Customer upgrades have been completed, the Journal Connector must be upgraded. All of the databases and the Journal Connector must be at the same major and minor release of the product.
Cause 3 :
The Compliance Accelerator Configuration database has been moved from one SQL Server or SQL Server instance to another SQL Server or SQL Server instance. When a Compliance Accelerator Configuration database is moved, there are certain files on the Compliance Accelerator server and the Enterprise Vault journaling server that must be updated to reflect that move.
On the Enterprise Vault Journaling Server, there is a file in the Enterprise Vault installation folder (Default Location is 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault') named JournalTask.exe.config for Exchange Journaling Archiving and EVLotusDominoJournalTask.exe.config for Lotus Domino Journaling Archiving that must be edited in Notepad (or some other plain text editor) to change the 'server=' entry from the old SQL Server or SQL Server instance to the new SQL Server or SQL Server instance.
Find the two lines with the old Microsoft SQL Server name / Microsoft SQL Server instance name.
<add key="DSNConfiguration" value="server='SQLServer';Integrated Security=true;Initial Catalog='EVConfigurationDatabaseName';Connection Timeout=500" />
<add key="DirectoryDSN" value="packet size=4096;integrated security=SSPI;data source=SQLServer;persist security info=False;initial catalog=EnterpriseVaultDirectory" />
Where 'SQLServer' is the name of the old Microsoft SQL Server and 'EVConfigurationDatabaseName' is the name of the Compliance Accelerator configuration database. Once the file has been edited with the correct SQL information, the Journal Task must be started (the edit should be done with the Journal Task stopped).
If the databases have been moved to a newer version of SQL Server, the database compatibility level should be changed to match the SQL Server version.
For example. if the databases have been moved from a SQL Server 2000 machine to a SQL Server 2005 machine, the compatibility level should be changed from "SQL Server 2000 (80)" to "SQL Server 2005 (90)". Likewise, if the databases have been moved to a SQL Server 2008 machine, the compatibility level should be changed to "SQL Server 2008 (100)". The compatibility level can be found and changed in the Properties of the database, on the Options page.