Replication : The Do’s , The Don’t and the Best Practices
- Replication can only be done with the same version of SEPM
- The number of replicated sites should ideally be kept below 5
- Replication should be done once per day.
- The value of “Content revisions to keep” should be set to a lower value.
- Disable the Proxy settings configured in the Primary SEPM .
- Only replicate logs from the Replication partner
- The interval of replication should be set in such a way that replication schedules don’t overlap with any other site. This can lead to Database Deadlock and which can in turn cause many issues.
- Under any circumstance it is not recommended to go over 20 replicated sites
- Replication should not overlap with scheduled Liveupdate session
- Multi-version manager replication should not be done
- Do not replicate more frequently than once per hour
The Best Practices:
- If multiple replication partners are configured, always make sure that the replication schedules don’t overlap. This can lead to Database Deadlock issues.
- If internet connection is present at replication sites, it is advisable to only replicate logs. Content (virus definitions) and install packages need not be replicated as content can be downloaded by the SEPM via liveupdate. For a SEPM to be configured as a replication partner the SEPM version has to be the same in all sites. If SEPM versions are the same, they will have the latest install packages as well.
- Disable the Proxy settings that is configured in the SEPM which is installed on the Primary site. We have seen in SEP version MR4 MP2 and later that this setting conflicts with the replication process.
Logs and information required to troubleshoot replication issues:
Before Collecting the logs set the Log level to finest
- SEPM Tomcat logs from the Primary site and Secondary site using the “CollectLog.cmd” tool which is present in the SEPM\Tools folder.
- SEP Support tool logs from all the sites .A Full data grab is needed.
- If it is a new install of the replication partner, then we will need to collect the SEPM Tomcat logs from the Primary site and the “install error logs” from the Secondary site.
- Network Traces when the replication is failing to check for network issues ( WireShark or Netmon .)
- The IP Address and Server name of Primary site and the replication partners that are configured is required . This will help in looking for information in the logs.