Storage Foundation and High Availability Solutions 5.0MP3 Installer Support for JumpStart
Created by: Chang Jung and Steve Sundstrom
The Veritas product installer for Storage Foundation and High Availability Solutions 5.0MP3 on Solaris provides support for Solaris JumpStart. The Solaris JumpStart feature is a customizable automated installation on Solaris environments. This document provides an overview of how to use the installer with Solaris JumpStart, including some simple examples.
What is JumpStart?
The JumpStart feature is an automatic installation process available in the Solaris operating environment. It allows system administrators to categorize machines on their network and automatically install systems based on the category to which a system belongs.
Reasons for JumpStart automated installation
The JumpStart automated installation provides the following benefits:
- Simplifies installations.
- Allows faster installations than installing from the CD/DVD-ROM.
- Allows unattended installations.
- Allows replication, to ensure the same installation on systems across the enterprise.
All Solaris base installations require some basic configuration. With JumpStart, Sun enables the system administrator to avoid repetitive tasks associated with bringing a Solaris system online.
Veritas product installer supports JumpStart
The Veritas product installer installs Veritas Storage Foundation and High Availability Solutions products. The installer receives user inputs from command line options and user interactions. The installer processes the inputs and organizes the order of package installation. The installer then installs the packages in the correct order.
JumpStart does not allow user interactions. Therefore, JumpStart cannot run the installer directly.
However, you can use the installer to generate a script that can be used for JumpStart installation. The installer can do the following tasks:
- Get the user inputs from command line options before you run JumpStart
- Process user inputs and organize the order of package installation.
- Create a shell script to install the packages in the proper order.
Configure JumpStart to do the following tasks:
- Pick up the Installer shell script if the script is added to the JumpStart configuration file.
- Run the shell script to install Veritas packages after the Solaris OS and patches are installed.
- The following items are required before performing a JumpStart installation:
- A boot server on the same ethernet segment
- An install server with the Solaris Operating System (OS)
- A configuration server that defines rules and profiles.
- A DVD of Veritas Storage Foundation and High Availability Solutions
Overview of configuration steps
- Configure the JumpStart server.
- Copy the Veritas Storage Foundation and High Availability Solutions packages to the Install server.
- Run the installer with the “-jumpstart” option to create finish scripts.
- Add the installer finish script to the JumpStart rules file.
- Add the install target system and run JumpStart from the install target system prompt.
- Install the Solaris OS and the Veritas Storage Foundation and High Availability Solutions products.
- Boot the install target system.
- Run the installer with the “-configure” option to configure the Veritas Storage Foundation and High Availability Solutions products.
Download the PDF of the complete guide below, for detailed configuration steps and sample scripts.
Check out the Installing Storage Foundation and High Availability Solutions 5.0 MP3 Using Solaris Jumpstart screencast for additional information.