I've put together some information what can be found in different KB articles, to one short installation tutorial.
In this article I've upgraded CMS 7.0SP2 to CMS 7.0SP2MR4 (latest at this point) as an example.
If you are upgrading from different MR, you can use the same article as an guideline as the procedure does not change with MR's.
This section of the tutorial will cover the steps needed prior upgrade itself.
1. Perform a database and server backup. I would recommend having at least database backup so in scenario where something goes wrong it’s possible to restore the database.
2. Make note of configuration settings - In the console, navigate to Task Server Settings > Agent Communication Settings > Policy Refresh Settings > Membership Update Settings.
3. Disable hierarchy replication(If it’s enabled)
Refer to knowledge base articles
4. Run the report "current replication activity"
Verify that this report is blank. If the report returns any results, you must wait until all replications jobs have been completed before performing the upgrade.
5. Review NSE queues (On the Symantec Management Platform server, remove any Notification Server Event (NSE) files from the following "\bad" folders:
6. Ensure that CMS component versions match the Symantec Management Platform version. The components that you install or upgrade must be the same version as the Symantec Management Platform (SMP).
7. Be aware of Deployment Solution incompatibility with HTTPS. www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127620
8. Review logs before installing new CMS components. Review Notification Server logs for errors or warnings that may cause instability with the product.If you find errors or warnings, take note of them and try to resolve them.
9. Ensure that all critical tasks are completed - During an upgrade, all services are stopped and any outstanding tasks may fail, report up incorrectly, or be terminated.
10. Be aware of agent plug-in status. You need to be aware of all of your agent plugins: Which are enabled? Which ones are you upgrading? What are their dependencies? All plugin policies are disabled during upgrade, so you need to turn them on. Any plugins that are not upgraded may cause conflicts with newer software. It is best practice to upgrade all components at the same time to ensure full compatibility.
Upgrade checklist can also be found from www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO77026
This section of tutorial will cover the actual upgrade to 7.0SP2MR4.
You can upgrade to Client Management Suite 7.0SP2MR4 by using the Symantec Installation Manager.
Please note that you do need to install 7.0SP2 as pre-requisite to MR4.
Dependencies and installation sequence.
All of the dependencies are checked during the installation requirements check. And the sequence of installation package is managed by Installation Manager.
Known issues with CMS 7.0SP2MR4 – refer to MR4 release notes http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC4041 Page 14-15 inside the .pdf document.
Launch Symantec Installation Manager.
Select "Install new products"
Select Altiris Client Management Suite SP2 MR4
If you select the Client Management Suite MR4 product, then all MR4 components are installed.
Additionally, individual MR4 components can be selected as needed.
If you want to install documentation or language packs, then select them from this page.
Step 5. To continue Accept the End User License Agreement and press “Next”
Step 6. Select appropriate fields from EPCI Compliance and press “Next”
Step 7. Install Readiness check. If something is wrong, screen below appears.
As shown on the screenshot it’s not possible to initiate upgrade from incorrect version. On this specific scenario Client Management Suit was without SP2 and requires SP2 installed before upgrading to MR4.
Step 7.1. Install Readiness check. If there’s no errors, press “Next” to continue.
If there are errors, follow the instructions on screen to solve and press "Check install readiness again".
Step 8. Review Installation Details and press “Begin Install” to continue.
Installation will now begin and download the required packages automatically. The whole procedure can take up to 2-3 hours depending on your internet speed and server hardware.
Upgrading the Symantec Management Agent on managed computers
After you install MR4, you must make sure that all managed computers have the
latest version of the Symantec Management Agent. Enable the policy that upgrades
the Symantec Management Agent.
To upgrade the Symantec Management Agent on managed computers
1. In the Symantec Management Console, on the Actions menu, click
Agents/Plug-ins > Rollout Agents/Plug-ins.
2. In the left pane, under Agents/Plug-ins, expand Symantec Management
Agent>Windows, and then click SymantecManagementAgentforWindows
3. On the plug-in upgrade policy page, turn on the policy.
At the upper right of the page, click the colored circle, and then click On.
4. Click Save changes.
5. Repeat for the UNIX/Linux/Mac agent.