The information contained in this article should be used by support and /or the customer, as a guideline to help gather all the necessary information to properly troubleshoot a support case. The goal is to eliminate unnecessary correspondence between support and the customer concerning information or evidence gathering, and to help the troubleshooting process. The result will be that the time to resolution for a support case will be considerably shorter, and the customer experience will be strongly enhanced.
The customer should provide the following information to help us get a clearer picture of the issue and how their environment is configured.
- Define the issue
- Is the issue reproducible?
- Yes: provide detailed steps to reproduce
- No: provide logs (see below)
- When did the issue start?
- Who is affected/How many users affected?
- What/where is the issue seen?
- What (if anything) changed in the environment?
- Collect data pertaining to the issue
- Gather client and server logs from the time of the event
- Capture screenshots and memory dumps if applicable
- Which environment is affected?
- Production, Development, QA, UAT, etc.
- Location of servers vs. users (e.g. - the servers are in New York, but the users are in London).
- Streaming Architecture
- VM vs Physical machines; OS, Platform, Edition, SP, etc.
- Number of BEs, FEs, DAs, Server Groups, Load Balancers
- Product Version/usage; how is it being consumed?
- Current state
- Have the systems been rebooted and things are back online?
We would use the following questions to guide the troubleshooting process based on the information received above. The customer can preemptively answer these questions.
- Have there been communication / connectivity issues in the environment?
- Check the streaming servers -> Check disk space/CPU utilization/memory
- Check the database server -> Check disk space/CPU utilization/memory
- Check LDAP servers -> Check disk space/CPU utilization/memory
- Is the issue related to:
- User streaming issue?
- User login/access issue?
- Composer/virtualization issue?
- Client/server issue?
- Install/upgrade issue?
- Check the configuration/setup of the streaming environment
NOTE: A Microsoft Word version of the document is attached so the customer can easily fill out/edit the document and send it back to the support technician assigned to a particular support case.