What is Symantec Antivirus for Network Attached Storage 5.2
A Network Attached Storage is a specialized computer or Appliance used to serve files to multiple clients on the network. As it may contain large amount of valuable or confidential data it is important to protect files on the NAS. So ensure that Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability of the files is maintained.
Symantec provides security from multi-blended threats on the NAS using SAV for NAS.
Symantec AntiVirus for Network Attached Storage provides real-time virus protection for valuable data stored on network attached storage devices by using antivirus technology to detect, remove or repair Viruses, Worms , Trojan horses and Multi-Blended threats in all major file types, including mobile code and compressed file formats.
A typical Antivirus runs Full scan on File System to check if a threat active on the file system, however that is not feasible on the NAS as a Full Scan might run into days and it will bring down the NAS Appliance to Halt or simply make it unusable.
In SAV for NAS files are scanned as they are accessed from the network attached storage devices as opposed to a long scan of the entire disk. It provides scalable and reliable virus protection for valuable data stored on network attached storage devices.
Virus definitions and engines are updated automatically with no interruption in virus scanning using Symantec LiveUpdate. SAV for NAS uses the same Virus Definitions as SEP/SAV or any other Symantec Virus Scanning product.
It easily accommodates growing traffic volumes with load-balancing across multiple servers running this software, providing highly scalable virus protection,
SAV for NAS Uses a fast, multi-threaded scanning engine, which processes multiple scan requests simultaneously, for high performance virus detection/repair rates. Scan speeds vary, depending on system and network configuration.
SAV for NAS 5.2 can be Integrated with Symantec Security Information Manager for Incident reporting and Log management.
The following Network Attached Storage devices have been validated by their vendor to work with SAV 5.2 for NAS:
• BlueArc® Titan NAS Server (version 4.0 or later)
• EMC Celerra® Network Server (Celerra Antivirus Agent 3.6 or later)
• Hitachi® AMS/WMS with NAS Option (version 04-03 or later)
• Hitachi® High-performance NAS Platform™ (version 4.0 or later)
• Hitachi® USP/NSC NAS Blade (version 03-07 or later)
• Network Appliance™ (NetApp) Filer™ (Data ONTAP™ version 6.1.3R2 or later)
• Sun® StorageTek™ 5000 NAS Appliance (Sun NAS Firmware 4.20 or later)
• Sun® StorageTek™ 9990 NAS/9985 NAS (version 03-07 or later)
• Sun® StorageTek™ 7000 NAS version 2008.10