WIN 2008 r2
Exchange 2010 GRT
We cam across a case that While restoring mailboxes via Recovery Storage Group, there was limitation that the old user must exists in any state/case because it matches Mailbox GUID to restore contents. But in case of refreshing mailboxes, GUID gets changed and then we are unable to restore mailboxes via RSG
According to the Microsoft Technote, the Recovery Storage Group can be used to recover the mailboxes when the mailboxes in the databases remains intact and unchanged in Active Directory. In case of recreating / refreshing the mailboxes in the exchange database the GUID gets changed and we cannot recover it from the RSG with different GUID, and you need to change the GUID manually if you want to recover it from the RSG.
The RSG is designed for mailbox database recovery under the following conditions and scenarios:
- The logical information about the storage group, database, and the mailboxes in the database remains intact and unchanged in Active Directory.
- You need to recover a single mailbox, a single database, or a group of databases in a single storage group. Recovery scenarios include:
- Recovering or repairing an alternate copy of a database while another copy remains in production, with the goal of merging the two databases.
- Recovering a database on a server other than the original server for that database. If needed, you can then merge the recovered data back to the original server.
- Recovering deleted items that users deleted from their mailboxes, which they now need.
- If you want to recover more than one database at a time, you can add multiple databases to an RSG as long as they are all from the same original storage group. After you have added the first database, you can only add databases from that database's storage group. Otherwise, you must use more than one server, because each server can only host one RSG.
There are two parameter sets for the Restore-Mailbox cmdlet:
- Merge mode You may specify the identity of a user mailbox as the target mailbox. Then the target mailbox’s GUID is used to match the mailbox in the RSG database.
- Copy-to-folder mode You may specify the identity of a user folder in the target mailbox. The source RSG mailbox is identified by the parameterRsgMailbox, which accepts the following user attributes to match data:
- MailboxGuid The Exchange Mailbox GUID of the mailbox to recover.
- LegacyExchangeDN The full LegacyDN of the mailbox to recover such as '/O=First Organization/OU=First Admin Group/Cn=Recipients/CN=Jim.