Application packagers know there are some vendor MSIs that just can't be edited with Wise but can be edited with ORCA. If, in such a case, we want to add a file to the package, we can't with ORCA because ORCA has limitations and can not compress the file. In these cases, you can follow the steps given below to add the file to the package.
- Make the .CAB FILE of the File you want to add using makecab command.
Makecab [Source] [Destination]
Where source = path of the file along with file name and Destination = Path where you want .CAB file.
- Go to Component Table
- Make a component with the name of the file you want to add.
- Set the directory column with the path where you want to install the file.
- Go to featurecomponent Table
- Associate the component made in step 2 with the feature (Complete in case of captured Application).
- Go to File table
- Add Row
- Give File name, Component column should contain the name of component made in step 2
- File Size column should contain file size in KB.
- Its attribute should be set to 16384 as file source type is compressed.
- Its Sequence column should be set to the last sequence in that table.
- Go to media table
- Add row with unique diskid, Lastsequence now should be set to the sequence no give in the file table & cabinet column should contain the name of .CAB file we made in step 1.
NOTE: - KEEP GENERATED .CAB FILE WITH THE MSI While Installing the Msi
Limitations: You can add only one file in one cab. So this procedure needs to be repeated if there is more than one file to be added to the package.
To make a CAB file for multiple files run typr "iexpress"...