This will be to document our migration from Symantec Client Managment 6 to SMP CMP 7.1. It is scheduled to be set in motion sometime Jan 2013 with the help of Xcend consulting services which also implemented our 6.x environment.
We are a school district with 80+ remote sites. 25,000+ Windows XP machines, a few Win 7, 300+ Mac's, 6,000+ iPads. We have a centralized datacenter, with fiber connections to each site. We have Cisco networking gear with gigbit connections at most ports, along with Cisco Aironet access points at some campuses.
We use Altiris for all new and existing SO and software automation except for the Apple equipment. The suites used in Altiris are:
Depoyment solution, we have 10 DS 6.9 SP2 servers divided up amoung the sites.
Inventory via NS, we have 3 client facing NS with a report server. Lots of custom reports for compliance and inventory questions.
Patch managment, for desktop and servers.
Software Delivery, for mass deployments.
Application Metering, for usage.
Observations prior to starting:
1. Symantec SE's are very vague about specs when it comes to environmental design. And since the platform specs changes often, it's even tougher to get an assuring answer on what physical hardware is required to put it all together.
2. Training is very tough to schedule as the low attendence of the courses results in them being canceled more often than not.
3. The Sale Engineers are very good at communicating and connceting you to the right party for any questions. But getting the right answers is another question.
4. The Support phone # is very inconsistent on who and what type of service you get. Over sea's calls tend to be very time consuming and takes some time for someone to get back to you with an answer.
5. The new console is bad, seriously more involved to do simpler tasks like creating a packaging.
So hopefully things will start well in the new year, unless 7.5 releases early and throws a wrench in our operation.