Introducing Symantec Data Insight Technology – Combining Data Loss Prevention & Storage Management
Symantec announced the launch of Symantec Data Loss Prevention Data Insight, a new technology that enables organizations to improve data governance through insights into the ownership and usage of unstructured data, including files such as documents, spreadsheets and emails. Data Insight will be the first and only data loss prevention solution to deliver an integrated data owner and remediation capability.
How Can It Help You?
• Is it a challenge to find the people or groups responsible for unstructured files?
• Do you need to investigate data leaks?
• Do you need to track and log data access for compliance?
• Do you want to reclaim storage as part of a data clean-up initiative?
How Does It Work?
• Data Owner Identification: tracks file usage and reports the top 5 users of sensitive data for files found as part of a Network Discover scan.
• Open Share Identification: scans the file system to discover access permissions and identifies shares that are accessible to everyone.
• Data Access Visualization and History: records all file usage and provides multiple views into file activity with an ability to monitor sensitive files and directories.
Data Insight was built by the storage experts at Symantec to work with NetApp and EMC file servers. Data Insight uses native NetApp and EMC APIs to collect file transaction data from the file servers while minimizing server performance overhead. File transaction data is indexed and made available for search. Data insight supplies the Symantec Data Loss Prevention Enforce Platform with data ownership and access information for incidents generated by Data Loss Prevention Network Discover. Data Insight also provides a console for visualizing data access, reviewing permissions and viewing detailed logs.
The Data Insight Collector, Indexer and Console are designed to scale to the demands of large enterprises.
For More Information