When you’re operating across an entire network of terminals, inefficiencies and problems are bound to arise. Of course, there’s no way to eliminate these entirely, but there are ways to minimise them, by gathering more useful information, simplifying and improving existing processes, and ensuring administrators have all the necessary powers available. This is where Symantec Workspace Streaming can help. Your organisation may well be using the Symantec Endpoint Virtualization Suite already for the virtualization of your business-critical applications. Workspace Streaming is an add-on for this suite, which allows sophisticated application streaming.
- License management is simplified, with a clear table showing the type of license, the number available and how many are in use, who uses them and how often, and the regularity with which licenses are re-harvested from dormant or irregular users. The re-harvesting of licenses can be automated through the use of rules, allowing you to make the most efficient possible use of your existing licenses. This ensures that users can get what they need, when they need it. It also means that you can easily implement a physical policy in a virtual environment.
- Upgrading across multiple terminals is easier than ever. With a single click, all client copies of an application can be upgraded, or rolled back to a previous version when necessary.
- Updates can also be prioritised - the administrator can chose when an upgrade is ‘critical’, and set the necessary network and client conditions for non-critical installations to occur. (So, you set it so that a client laptop only installs regular updates if its battery life is over 20%).
- The number and size of OS images is reduced, which makes management much easier.
- Less demanding than a thin client model, as parts of the applications are cached locally. This is much less demanding on the client than a full-install, but runs just as fast after the initial streaming.
- Available to remote and mobile users, allowing your organisation to offer a policy which is as flexible as possible for end-users.
For a step-to-step guide on how to set up application streaming on your server, check out this video: