Backup Exec and Nirvanix Team Up to provide Cloud Backup and Recovery
Hello Backup Exec Users!
Anyone looking to move backup data to the cloud? Planning on reducing the use of tape in the upcoming months or years? Looking to save money on tapes, tape storage, and other offsite backups? If you are researching or implementing any of these concepts, Symantec may have solutions that can help.
We’re partnered with Nirvanix (www.nirvanix.com), a global provider of highly-available cloud storage to provide a method to backup data to the Nirvanix Storage Delivery Network (SDN). Using the freely-available Backup Exec Cloud Storage for Nirvanix plugin (available here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH141618 ), you can:
- Use Nirvanix SDN cloud storage just like any other Backup Exec local storage device.
- Establish the Nirvanix SDN cloud as a new storage tier or as a secondary off-site location for disaster recovery.
- Backup directly from Remote Agents to the Nirvanix cloud
- Set Copy from BE Media Servers to the Nirvanix Cloud
There can be real, measurable benefit to using cloud storage instead of using tape for on and off-premise storage. Some of the benefits of Cloud Storage can be:
- Reduce the costs of secondary storage for infrequently accessed information by replacing offsite tape with public cloud storage.
- Reduce the costs associated with the movement of physical media to and from offsite storage facilities.
- Backup to the cloud so offsite data remains online
- Use the cloud as an inexpensive offsite storage option for data protection and disaster recovery
- Backup Exec 2010 R2 or higher
- Backup Exec Deduplication Option
- Note – the Nirvanix SDN cloud service cannot store deduplicated data. The Deduplication Option is how the technology is enabled and does not imply the ability to store deduplicated data to the cloud. We plan to remove the Deduplication Option as a requirement in a future release of Backup Exec.
- An account with Nirvanix, purchased through the Nirvanix.com or via the Nirvanix sales channels.
For more information on the Symantec web site, follow this link: http://www.symantec.com/business/theme.jsp?themeid=nirvanix. To find more about Nirvanix and Symantec, follow this link: http://www.nirvanix.com/partners/symantec.aspx
Sr. Product Manager, Backup Exec