Barcode Scanners Supported by Barcode Solution Version 6.7
As part of a complete asset management solution, Altiris® Barcode Solution integrates with Altiris Service & Asset Management Suite to help you eliminate data input errors, accounting irregularities, and redundancies. Barcode Solution provides wireless connections between handheld devices and Altiris Notification Server and leverages bar code technology for a simpler, more accurate way of gathering and verifying information in the field.
Manual data collection is slow and error prone. For example, a well-trained data entry operator makes a data entry error once every 300 keystrokes. Barcode Solution is designed to save your organization time and money by increasing input speed and accuracy. A bar code system is significantly faster (about 15 times faster) and more accurate (about 10,000 times more accurate) than manual data entry systems.
When synchronizing data with a handheld device, you have the option of doing a full sync or a delta sync. A delta sync saves time and money by uploading or downloading only changed or new data.
Integrated Handheld Devices
- Symbol Technologies PPT 2800, PPT 8800
- Symbol Technologies MC50, MC70, MC9090-G
- Socket CF Scanner
- Dell X50, X51
- Hewlett-Packard iPaq HX2490, HX2750, HX2795
- Hewlett-Packard iPaq HW6920, HW6940
Bar Code Devices
- Socket Cordless Hand Scanner (Bluetooth)
- Socket SD Scan Card
- Socket CF Scan Card
- Socket CF RFID Reader-Scan Card 6P
Supported Bar Codes
- Radio Frequency Identification (RFID)
- Code 39
- Code 128
- Interleaved 2 of 5
- UPC bar code symbologies formats
Supported Operating Systems
- Pocket PC 2003
- Windows Mobile 2005
- WMS MSFP
Bar Code Computer (Host Computer) Requirements
- Processor-Pentium II 500 MHz or faster
- Memory-128 MB
- Hard drive-20 MB of available hard drive space
- Operating system-Windows XP SP2, or Windows Server 2003
- Browser-Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0
- Other-SVGA monitor and network connection
- Resellers will sometimes claim that the barcode scanners have been end-of-lifed because their own inventory is out of stock.
- New scanners that use the same drivers and OS as older models will most likely work with version 6.7.
- Loading the Barcoder application (the one that runs on the scanner) does not support using SD or Flash memory. At least one customer has however a found way to load the application, but not the data, on an SD card. They told me that they had to diddle with the dlls on the scanner and manually put them in the Windows directly. To use the scanner, they had to start the application, then remove the SD card in order to put in their Socket scanner card. Don't ask who they are; I can't tell you. I share this just to let you know that people have found a way to make it work.