Connect Dev Notes: 11 June 2013
Created: 11 Jun 2013 | Updated: 13 Nov 2013
User Facing: Desktop
- Added a way for users to enter a alternate email address to their user profile for email notifications.
- Added the ability for privileged users to translate forum posts.
- Removed the "0 comments" label from blog posts where comments have been disabled and will never have any comments.
- Added a share widget to Connect pages that will allow users viewing Connect in the Chinese language to share posts to the Sina Weibo microblogging website.
- Improved the formatting of events when they are exported from Connect and imported into Microsoft Outlook.
- Improved the workflow code to fix an issue with edited posts reverting to an unpublished state.
- Fixed the stuck "Solution" counter on user profile pages.
- Fixed an issue with the "status" flag on Idea and Known Issue content types. The flag now successfully updates when a privileged user changes the status of the post.
- Fixed a bug in the "Unsubscribe from further comments in this thread" email feature that was not allowing users who were authenticated to Connect to unsubscribe.
- Modified the report that admins use to export "Ideas" to product teams to allow data exports within a date range.
- Resolved an issue with split solutions where a few posts were submitted as we performed the upgrade and were not being listed correctly when the post author tried to mark them as the solution using the split solution feature.
- Fixed an issue with the admin-facing userpoints audit tool.
- Improved the memory management of the script that imports new Accreditations and Certifications so it doesn't run into issues with not enough memory to complete the import.
- Modified the RSS Builder (http://www.symantec.com/connect/rss-builder) to generate URLs that point to our faster service.
- Moved our reporting tools to a dedicated reporting server to give the processors on the production server more more cycles to serve Connect users.
Behind the Scenes
- For better SEO, we modified our code to always display the "friendly URL" to search engine crawlers instead of the post ID.
- Added new meta information to our translated pages that gives Google information necessary to send searchers to the correct version of a page for their language.