Connect Updates: New Anti-Spam Functionality
We've just finished installing the Mollom* spam filtering module on the Connect Production server. Here's how it works:
- If a user submits legitimate content, it is scanned by the Mollom service and is allowed to post as normal.
- If a user submits content with a questionable word or phrase that the Mollom service is unsure of, the user is presented with a captcha challenge before content can be submitted.
- If a user submits content that the Mollom service flags as spam, the content is saved for an editor to review.
Here are a few things I like about this module:
- Content submitted by users like Trusted Advisors and Employees is exempted and bypasses the Mollom scan.
- Mollom catches spam *before* it's published and sent out via our notifications system.
- It works with all languages.
- If you can't read the visual captcha, you can listen to an audio version.
- We can add our own words or phrases to our filter -- to supplement the millions already identified as spam by the Mollom service.
*Mollom is currently protecting 46,555 active websites. The average efficiency is 99.96%. This means that only 4 in 10,000 spam messages were not caught. Mollom has caught 479,883,056 spam messages since it started. On average, 86% of all messages on the Internet are spam.