UPDATE (May 3rd, 2011): The First Availability program is now closed as Backup Exec 2010 R3 has been officially released (GA) and all current licensed users can download the product from FileConnect. If you are under maintenance and currently only have license keys for a version older than Backup Exec 2010, you can get your update keys at the Symantec Licensing Portal. You do NOT need to update your license keys if you are currently licensed with Backup Exec 2010 or Backup Exec 2010 R2.
I posted previously about the Beta and Release Candidate (RC) program for Backup Exec 2010 R3 and we are now entering the final stretch before we start the First Availability program. If you sign up you will be able to obtain and run the production-ready general availability (GA) version of Backup Exec 2010 R3 as soon as it becomes available and before it is posted publicly on our external site.
Direct link to sign up: <removed due to program expiration>
Below are some of the new feature capabilities and improvements (updated since my last Beta/RC post):
- Deduplication performance and stability imrpovements
- Improved Deduplication rates for VMware backups
- Improved pre-installation environment checks to prevent install and backup failures
- Virtual Vault support for the Exchange Mailbox Archiving Option, enabling easy email recovery directly from Microsoft Outlook
- Nirvanix (OST) cloud solution now available without requiring the Deduplication license/install
- Improved knowledge base article lookup from error links in job logs
(EDITED 4/20: bullet point clarification/update)
First Availability software is production ready GA software that has passed stringent Symantec release and quality criteria. This is not an Alpha or Beta program and we encourage and fully support FA code in production environments.
If you already have a Symbeta account setup, you can simply sign on to the Symbeta site and click on the Backup Exec link under “Project Opportunities”: https://symbeta.symantec.com