Going Green at Vision 2013 - Sustainability and Symantec
As part of Symantec’s strategy to produce more environmentally responsible events, this year the Symantec event team worked with the MGM Grand and other suppliers to reduce our waste footprint. Key initial successes include:
- 45% of all waste will be recycled by the MGM Grand
- 100% of organic food waste will be composted, and over 60% of Expo waste will be diverted from landfill
- Over 60% of the materials used to build and brand The Expo are made from more sustainable materials (carpet, booths, signage)
- Zero waste created from the production of the keynote
- All plates and cups are reusable or compostable
- Paper usage eliminated from labs, training workshops and event surveys.
Our first effort to reduce our carbon footprint was at Symantec Vision EMEA in Barcelona (See our first Vision Barcelona Sustainability Report here). Vision 2013 Las Vegas is the second step in a major global sustainable events strategy. Areas identified for improvement in future years include, the continual selection of eco-certified hotels and venues, the focus on more sustainable and healthier food options, and the use of more sustainable print, expo and mechanising solutions.
While Symantec is pleased with the progress made, we are at the first step towards greater sustainability and leadership across a range of corporate events. We hope to create an even stronger partnership between the events, corporate responsibility teams and our partners. In the future, will be working closely with our suppliers to implement a more sustainable and innovative conference that will improve the impact and value of Vision on the attendees, the community, the planet and ultimately the Symantec Brand.