How to Run a Task from Ghost Console in an Environment without DHCP Server
Once the client machine boots up into the PreOS it will need an IP address to communicate with the Ghost Cast Server, and by default that IP address will come from the DHCP. When there is no DHCP server, the client machine will not get any IP address, hence, the machine will not be able to communicate with the Ghost Cast Server.
To force the PreOS WinPE or WinPE-512 to use a static IP address:
- Go to "\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Ghost\Template\common\winpe\ghost" for WinPE and "\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Ghost\Template\common\winpe-512\ghost" for WinPE-512
- Remove the read only from start.bat
- Edit start.bat using the notepad and add the following line between x: and cd \ghost
netsh int ip set address local static 192.168.0.100 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1
(IP address of 192.168.0.100 with a Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0 and a Default Gateway of 192.168.0.1 would be set on the "Local Area Connection"
- Save the file
- Run the task
When the task running it will update the client machine with the new start.bat which will force the PreOS to use a static IP address.
- The IP should be free all the time
- By using this method, you will not be able to run a task on a multiple machines.