With respect to data protection (I'm not going to call it backup, people. I much prefer smarmy and fancy words. Then again shiny objects fascinate me, too!) jobs and such, there's a number of questions that one can expect to be asked. I know that for my current job I was asked how to set up a three way NDMP backup and how to bring down netbackup services, from a command line, on a windows server. But how about other questions? I'm a subscriber to the Veritas Mailing list (I'm oldschool like that) and I was intrigued by one of the posts.
A job seeker was looking for a Storage Job that required Netbackup knowledge. Unfortunately, the job seeker did not get that job and was a little miffed that they did not have an answer for the following questions:
- If you wanted to know what IP address netbackup was using to perform
backups what command would you run and where would you run it?
- How is image stored in netbackup?
- If you wanted to bypass netbackup commands and move a tape from slot 1 to drive 3 how would you do that?
- If your last catalog backup was two days ago and the master server crashed what would you have to do to bring your environment back up to present time?
- How do you import an NBU image that has been written to a disk storage unit?
- Difference between catalog on master and media server. What are the critical catalogs or databases on a Media Server?
- How would you tune NetBackup to increase backup performance?
So take a crack at the questions and post your answers. Or, heck, provide some Netbackup interview questiosn of your own.