New features coming in Connect 1.1
It's been a couple of weeks since my last update on Connect. During that time we've been working on several (and by several I mean more than 150) enhancements to Connect that will roll out over the next three to four weeks as part of our 1.1 release. Before I get to a more detailed list, here are the big enhancements coming before the end of April:
Performance. We're making several tweaks to performance - especially when publishing content.
Login State. In addition to allowing you to stay logged in for a week at a time, we are returning you to the page where you clicked the "login" link rather than redirecting you to the home page.
Ideas. If you've ever wanted to share an Idea on a feature for an existing Symantec product or a new product altogether, this is your chance. Submit your idea and vote on other ideas. Top ideas "float" to the top. A new "Ideas" tab will appear on Connect when this feature is finished.
Fluid Design. Several of you wanted the website to expand to fill more of a larger monitor. This will be available shortly.
Forums Enhancements. We are further tweaking the layout of forums to get more information on a page. In addition, we'll be adding features like "previous and next thread" buttons, icons representing private threads and read/unread status and a link to "unread" items in a thread. And finally we'll be supporting a nested, threaded view of forum conversations. We'll give several of you a sneak peek of what these forum changes will look like to make sure they meet your needs before we roll them out.
Profile Overhaul. We are overhauling the profile area to make it easier to see and edit your information including posts you have subscribed to. RSS Enhancements. We are making it easier to see and subscribe to available RSS threads.
Notification Enhancements. Some of you have had problems with the notification feature. These issues will be addressed.
In addition to these big changes there are dozens of other smaller fixes and features getting addressed including:
- Add spell checker to rich text editor (DONE!)
- Visual Design Cleanup
- Topics no longer required for posting content (DONE!)
- Access to a "revision" tab for editing different versions of your articles (DONE!)
- Allow group administrators to email group members (DONE!)
- Improved pagination Link "tagged with" topics to a page that lists all content with that topic.
- Comments in connect feed link directly to individual comments
- Add author and date information to Events and Downloads pages
- Time zone fixes Streamline registration process
- Add print-friendly option to detail pages
- Security and maintenance enhancements
- Search enhancements
- Group landing page tweaks
- Community selector less "sensitive"
- Blog enhancements
- Voting tweaks
- (About 75 additional bug fixes and improvements)
We will be moving these features from our development server to the production server every Friday evening between now and the end of April. In fact, we released a few of them last Friday!
If you have comments about additional features, please PM me with the details and I'll make sure they get added to our list for future releases.