Software Virtualization Solution 2.1 Professional Rev. A is now available for download on the Altiris download site! SVS Pro combines application streaming with virtualization to provide a comprehensive solution for rapid, reliable application delivery -- anywhere, any time. "Deploy without downloading – Execute without installing."
The elevator pitch:
SVS Professional abstracts applications from the operating system so that they can very rapidly and reliably be delivered to end users, either with the included application streaming system or with any traditional Electronic Software Delivery system. Applications become highly portable between machines and do not conflict with each other or with pre-existing, coventionally-installed software that may be on the machines. You also get the ability to fix app problems by instantly resetting the app back to a known good state. The goal is to make sure end users get what they need when they need it, including updates, completely automated and with guaranteed compliance with software license agreements.
This update to SVS 2.1 Pro updates the streaming system to version 126.96.36.1994. The streaming system is now fully Altiris-branded. Enhancements and fixes since AppStream 5.2.1/SVS 2.1 Pro include:
- Support for ACNS and generic Web proxy devices (Improves scalability; reduces the need for multiple front-end streaming servers and speeds application streaming.)
- LDAP wizard for greatly simplified setup
- Out of band delivery of streamed apps (Allows apps managed by the streaming system to be staged in images or initially delivered on removable media.)
- Significantly improved server installation experience
- Multiple fixes relating to performance, functionality, usability and internationalization (See Release Notes for details.)
Note that the Streaming Server installation now prevents installation on a server where NS is already installed. This is due to interoperability concerns that are being addressed for a subsequent release.
Very Important -- AppStream 5.2.1 (which Altiris/Symantec had previously been delivering to customers) is not upgradable to this release. AppStream 5.2.1 must be removed and this version installed. Upgradability will be preserved from this release forward.