Notes from the East MI Storage & High Availability User Group - 8/18/2010
Created: 23 Aug 2010 | 1 comment
East MI Storage & High Availability User Group
Meeting Notes 18Aug10
Meeting Started 11:15am
Craig Leiss started out meeting by reviewing agenda:
- Stressed importance of group discussion for getting the most out of the meeting.
- Went around the room for introductions (name, current role, Symantec products in use, what do you expect to get from the meeting)
- Next meeting is scheduled for November 10th on the west side of the state
- Can Symantec provide web services (WebX, ect.) for this meeting for those who cannot travel and attend in person?
- Bryan Yakel stated that Steelcase has volunteered to host the November meeting and that representative from Amway has volunteered to do a presentation on PureDisk.
Lunch break @ 11:30am
Philp Avery from Dewpoint presentation regarding backup and recovery for State of Michigan:
- Current staff size for backup and recovery at State of Mich is seven with one dedicated to research and test
- Have already tested NetBackup version 7.0.1 w/ no problems.
- When Dewpoint was hired in 2007, the success rate of backups was 63 percent and no formal SLA.
- In 2009 Backup and Recovery was the third largest sector of IT and growing
- Regulations call for ability to do a complete restore within 24 hours.
- Understanding Backups:
- Need to review what is and should be backed up
- Ability to deal with shrinking backup windows
- Cost of doing it wrong:
- In 2008 IBM was fined $900k for data loss through failed backups (State of Texas).
- 82 percent of companies that encounter complete data loss end up going out of business.
- Currently at State of Michigan:
- 99.5 percent backup success rate.
- Backing up between 600 – 2600 clients
- 40,000 backup jobs per week
- Backups cover over 6Pb of storage.
- Currently have eleven master servers.
- Has a rolling 30 day backup retention policy
- Beginning to use PureDisk and finding a reduction in the backup storage footprint by more than 10:1.
- Recommend the need to review your environment every six months to make sure you are doing the right thing.
- Discussion on deduplication:
- Talk around the room on who is using it..
- Some seeing twenty percent reduction in backup sizes…. Based on data type.
- Previously Windows registries did not dedup but this has been corrected with version 7.0.1.
- Discussion on dedup to tape on why this is not possible (restore would take too long do to spread of data)
- Discussion on different dedup providers which include (FalconStore, Quantum, DataDomain…)
- Discussion on different dedup types which include source and target.
- NetBackup 7 allows you to extend retention either on a particular image or a whole tape. This good for data holds, etc.
- Discussion on VMWare backups:
- VStorage API replaces the use of VCB.
- Expected speed of VCB / VStorage API backups is 20 – 80Mb/s
- No longer required to backup to disk first with VStorage API as you did with VCB..
- It is recommended to still backup to disk first as you want to be able to remove the VM snapshot as soon as possible.
- State of Michigan not using BMR due to security concerns.
- Bryan Yakel from Symantec presentation on Veritas Operations Services (VOS):
- This can be found online at: http://vos.symantec.com
- VOS can provide the following:
- Real-time patch notifications.
- Actionable error reports.
- Server comparison reports
- General check list for upgrades from X to Y.
- Documentation for all Symantec productions is available from here.
- NetBackup expected to be added to VOS by the end of this year.
- Recommendation was made by the user group to make a modification to VOS so that multiple user IDs can be tied together so that they can see the same servers / info… similar to how licensing site works.
- Statement made that improved licensing reports needed online.. hard to decipher which licenses are active after many years of renewals.
- Discussion on capacity based versus client based licensing models.. Does it make sense to go to capacity based model:
- If lots if data and low client count then maybe so..
- If not so much data and high client count then maybe not..
- Comment from group member regarding VMS client backups do not work after client is upgraded to NBU 6.5.5. No one else encountered problem and was recommended to contact support.
- Question regarding what Command Central is..: (System that IDs what you have in your storage environment…. i.e- HBAs, Switches, Applications, Disks, etc.)
- Comment was made by group member that a demonstration / discussion on BMR would still be nice to have at one of the upcoming group meetings.
- Meeting finished at 1:55pm; Craig Leiss raffled off Symantec gifts.