I just got a call from my customer and the problem he reported yesterday happening on 2 Notification Servers got worse (a lot worse) this morning as it affects all NS's in head-quarter (that's about 10 of them at least).
We did isolate the issue yesterday by removing all existing licenses from the license store (using the License removal tool for SP3) and what I saw during the troubleshooting was ugly: stop the SQL Server, Altiris Service, recycle the default worker process and restart SQL and Altiris. In minutes the server memory is maxed out and Altiris Service (aexsvc.exe) takes 1.5 ~ 2GB of memory, causing system out of memory exceptions.
As stated before, clearing all licenses resolve the problem but obviously creates a new one: no licenses for inventory, patch or software delivery will render the NS just about as useless as serious memory attrition.
Right, I got to go on the vpn now to check this and see if the temp licenses I sent the customer can help (adding licenses one by one).