Symantec™ invites IBM Tivoli® Storage Manager (TSM) customers to migrate to Symantec NetBackup™, the established market leader in data protection.
IBM TSM customers around the globe are switching to NetBackup. The NetBackup 7 Platform provides the ability to protect completely, store efficiently, recover anywhere, find easily and manage centrally.
Why are customers switching?
TSM customers who need to improve recovery performance
- NetBackup can restore files, emails and other granular items from applications and virtual machines from a single-pass backup. TSM requires the need for two backups passes, which can take additional time and storage, and TSM’s progressive incremental backup strategy can cause data to be dispersed over a large number of tapes, which can lead to performance problems during restores.¹
TSM customers seeking advanced virtual protection
- NetBackup provides advanced support for the latest VMware and Hyper-V solutions—including native integration with the VMware vStorage API for Data Protection. TSM offers basic Hyper-V support, and integrates with the vStorage API through VCB methodology, which can require additional storage and limit backup performance and restore functionality.
TSM customers wanting to implement deduplication
- NetBackup offers built-in source and target deduplication, and deep integration with deduplication appliances. TSM recommends you make a non-deduplicated copy of the data before enabling deduplication, and requires additional “hydrated storage” to support its reclamation process.² This can significantly increase the required storage footprint instead of delivering the benefits of deduplication technology.
TSM customers looking for multisite protection and disaster recovery
- NetBackup offers fully automated and integrated system recovery, built-in replication, optimized duplication, and offsite tape management so customers can backup everywhere and restore anywhere from a single NetBackup installation. TSM is architecturally limited to a single site.
Customers with a mixed TSM and NetBackup environment
- Customers with a mixed TSM and NetBackup environment are standardizing on NetBackup to benefit from improved recovery performance, advanced protection for virtual environments, deduplication everywhere from a single pane of glass solution, and multisite protection and disaster recovery.
Symantec is committed to working in partnership with you to ensure a successful transition from your existing TSM solution to NetBackup. For more information about migrating to NetBackup, please visit www.symantec.com or contact your Symantec Sales Representative or Authorized Channel Partner.
The Symantec NetBackup Team
² http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tsminfo/v6r2/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.itsm.srv.doc/t_dedup_setup.html / https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wikis/display/tivolistoragemanager/Data+deduplication+in+Tivoli+Storage+Manager+V6.2+and+V6.1
Copyright © 2010 Symantec Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Symantec, the Symantec Logo and any other trademark found on the Symantec Trademarks List that are referred to or displayed in the document are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners. Source: Symantec analysis of documentation, products, and customer references of Symantec NetBackup 7 and IBM TSM 6.2, 2010. All product information is subject to change without notice. 09/10