OTA Announces the 2012 Online Trust Scorecard and Honor Roll
I sat down today with Craig Spiezle, Executive Director of the Online Trust Alliance, at the Internet Retailer show in Chicago, to learn more about OTA’s Online Trust Honor Roll announcement. This is the OTA's fourth annual Online Trust Honor Roll -- the report promotes for the adoption of best practices; it recognizes leaders, and it provides prescriptive advice to businesses and governments. Symantec had made the OTA’s Online Trust Honor Roll 4 years in a row. The report is located at https://otalliance.org/honorroll.html.
Among the changes in this year’s report:
- Tools, methodology, and transparency: the OTA uses a number of publicly-available tools to capture and report on its best practices, and defines its methodology in the report, thus providing transparency into the criteria by which the report is prepared.
- Breadth of coverage: these tests were performed on over 1,200 domains, approximately 3,600 web pages, and over 500 million emails.
- DMARC and privacy/social media: adoption of DMARC is seeing quick uptake in the email authentication space, and privacy is now scored for the first time -- an acknowledgement of the growing importance of trust in the social networking space.
- Industry breakouts: the 2012 report has specific sections for large financial services companies, leading e-commerce sites, leading social media sites, and the OTA membership -- allowing for easy benchmarking of organizations.
- The Online Trust Index: tracks adoption of best practices in key sectors.
The OTA's Online Trust Honor Roll is must reading for any organization that values how its data, as well as the data of its users.
For more information on this report or about the OTA, please contact me.
Geoffrey W. Noakes
Director, Business Development, Symantec Trust Services
Webinar Briefing: OTA will host an online briefing on Tuesday, June 12 at 9:00AM - 10:30AM PDT.
To attend, please register at: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/817160904