PST Migration with Enterprise Vault 10.0.4
PST files are a bit of a paradox- they’re equally great and painful. End-users love them because they are in total control of how and where they save their valuable messages for easy access later. IT departments hate them due to their unstable nature (especially when they grow into the multiple GB territory) and their ability to consume vast quantities of File Server resources.
This is an age old problem and one that Symantec Enterprise Vault has been helping resolve for many years. It is better for everyone if end-users make use of a centralized, managed archive for their long term message retention needs and allow IT departments to remove the need for PST files, which helps free up the disk, backup and support desk overhead associated with PST usage. End-users are happy, and IT departments are happy. How often can you say that?
At Symantec, we recognize that PST eradication is difficult. To try and make this process as easy as possible, we have made a number of enhancements in our recent Enterprise Vault 10.0.4 release to help make PST eradication less of a “pipedream” and more of a reality.
It is now easier for Enterprise Vault to:
- Find computers that contain PST files on your network.
- Locate PST files ready to migrate and then remove them.
- Allow end-users to tell IT departments where their PST files are.
- Allow end-users to see how their PST migration is progressing.
- Send "migration status" email communication to end-users
- Control which PST files get migrated and when.
- Prioritize the migration of PST files.
If PST migration is a headache you’re wrestling with, then check out details of the Enterprise Vault 10.0.4 release-
Also, don’t forget to download the new PST migration whitepaper which offers guidance and tips on performing PST migrations: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6625