The long awaited final service pack (SP4) for Recovery Solution 6.2 has been released today, February 1, 2011! You can read the Release Notes here: DOC3495. Some highlights and new features:
- Two new types of information have been added to the Manage lost agents page: Days Ago Communicated and Reason.
- Server Space Management job performance is improved, especially when you have a large number of PST files on the recovery server .
- WBFR-based recovery audit report. This report tracks the file recoveries that Web-based file recovery performs. (This was actually a feature I requested!)
- The Recovery Job Queue has been enhanced to show the status of server jobs. You can see general and detailed information about individual jobs.
- Recovery Solution supports new Windows 7 is supported for the Recovery Agent.
One interesting note I gathered was the following:
■ Upgrade from 6.2 SP4 to 7.0 SP1 is not supported.
Not sure that this point what the upgrade path is then for those of us planning to migrate to SMP7 in the future; perhaps another hotfix to allow for the upgrade?
The next question on my mind is "what does this mean for support lifecycle"? Well have a look at the RS End-of-Life Statement article (HOWTO21450), the support timelines have been extended as follows:
Engineering Support (meaning additoinal programming could be done for a hotfix)
o Recovery Solution for Clients 6.2 SP4 – until 12/31/2011
o Recovery Solution for Clients 7.0 SP1 – until 1/2/2012
Technical Support (general support for problems, not requiring a hotfix/coding)
o Recovery Solution for Clients 6.2 SP4 – until 11/26/2012
o Recovery Solution for Clients 7.0 SP1 – until 7/2/2013
I haven't had a chance to install SP4 yet on my Dev server, but when I do I'll post back with my findings!