RSA® Conference 2011 Highlights
by David Stuart, Manager of Symantec MSS Product Marketing
Another RSA conference has come and gone so it feels appropriate to take a moment and summarize significant experiences from the event. Overall, the conference activity level was busy as ever and seemed to match or surpass its former heydays – hopefully a sign of our strengthening economy. Highlights of the week for Symantec and MSS were;
- Symantec Managed Security Services (MSS) had its own demo/display area and over 100 customers/prospects stopped by to learn more during the three expo days. If you would like to download MSS or other Symantec literature, visit the Symantec RSA Collateral Resource Center.
- Symantec launched the beta of Symantec Endpoint Protection 12, which will provide the only reputation-based security solution that is context-aware. With SEP 12, Symantec will provide telemetry from more than 175 million endpoints on more than 2.5 billion active files, affording more effective and faster endpoint protection for customers. Click here for details on becoming a SEP 12 beta customer.
- Enrique Salem, president and CEO of Symantec, gave the Tuesday morning opening keynote “Letting go and keeping control: Beyond the PC and data center” focusing on the industry megatrends of IT consumerization, mobility, social media, virtualization and cloud. Read the transcript of Enrique’s keynote.
One salient fact from the keynote –the micro-distribution model of endpoint threats has evolved to the point where 75 percent of all malware infects fewer than 50 machines. This means that now more than ever it is crucial to have comprehensive edge-to-endpoint monitoring and protection (read more about that in Sean Murphy’s recent blog Context is Key to Effective Incident Detection).
- Symantec did well at the 2011 SC Magazine Awards Gala. Of the 10 categories in which Symantec was a finalist, Symantec won in four of them, including the following:
- Best Endpoint/UTM Security – Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0
- Best Mobile/Portable Device – Symantec Endpoint Protection Mobile Edition
- Best Data Leakage Prevention – Symantec Data Loss Prevention
- Best Email Content Management – PGP Universal Gateway Email (Symantec Brightmail Gateway)
As always, your comments are welcome!