In its fiscal year 2013, Symantec contributed more than $24 million in cash and software to nonprofits working within its four philanthropic focus areas: science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) education; online safety; diversity; and environmental responsibility. Over the next few weeks, we will hear from several of our partners on various projects and programs that Symantec is helping to support. Last month, we heard from Acterra, an environmental nonprofit serving Silicon Valley, and a few weeks ago from Edwin Link, Sr. Director of Academic Success, Arts, and Innovation at the Boys & Girls Clubs of America. Today we feature Dresden Joswig from the Rainforest Alliance.
This month, the Rainforest Alliance was the proud recipient of a $25,000 donation from Symantec. We thought we’d say “thank you” by sharing a short list of a few of the ways a donation to the Rainforest Alliance helps to protect the planet.
- It helps to safeguard endangered species. Rainforest Alliance Certified™ farm and forestry operations and Rainforest Alliance Verified™ hotels abide by strict standards to ensure that local wildlife are protected and their habitats remain intact.
- It protects waterways. When logging roads are built and trees are felled, soils can erode into nearby waterways. Similarly, runoff from farms can pollute local water sources. Rainforest Alliance Certified and Verified farms, forests and tourism businesses manage buffer zones (which protect water quality), treat wastewater and implement water conservation practices.
- It mitigates the effects of climate change. By keeping forest ecosystems intact, the Rainforest Alliance is helping to protect trees which play a major role in absorbing the greenhouse gases that lead to climate change.
- It ensures sustainable livelihoods for millions of forest-dependent families. On Rainforest Alliance Certified farms and forests, owners learn techniques to increase yields and, ultimately, their incomes. Workers are guaranteed a decent salary.
- It supports environmental education. The Rainforest Alliance’s educational materials and workshops provide kids, teachers and parents with the information they need to understand fundamental environmental issues and to take action that will help protect our planet.
- It promotes conscientious consumption. The Rainforest Alliance works to teach people about the impact of their everyday purchasing decisions and the value of the Rainforest Alliance Certified green frog seal.
- It supports local economic development. Sustainable businesses working with the Rainforest Alliance purchase local goods and services, hire locally, and offer training and other outreach programs that contribute to local workforce development and promote prosperity in their local economies.
Dresden Joswig is Editorial Associate at the Rainforest Alliance.