The global spam volume, which has been the discussion topic for several months, appears to have finally stopped its decline. The month-over-month global spam volume was down in January again, but this was mostly due to the Rustock botnet shutdown, seen for the first 10 days of the year. We expect to see a month-over-month increase in spam volume in February, which will be a first since August 2010. Overall, spam made up 79.55% of all messages in January, compared with 81.69% in December.
To find out more, click here the February 2011 State of Spam & Phishing Report, which highlights the following trends:
• Conclusion of Spam Volume Saga
• Turmoil in Egypt Shuts Down the Spammers
• Scammers Seek Support for Serrana Flood Victims
• Big Brother Brasil Bait is Back
• January 2011: Spam Subject Line Analysis