Malware spam is back after a one-month hiatus! The attack has returned to the forefront of the spam threat landscape in the form of .zip and .html attachments, as discussed in the September 2010 State of Spam & Phishing report. Malware spam more than tripled in volume, and .zip attachment spam saw a four-fold increase month-over-month. As such, we reviewed what this attachment spam contained and discussed how those threats pose a serious risk to users. Overall, spam made up 92.51 % of all messages in August, compared with 91.89 % in July.
For this and much more, click here to download the September 2010 State of Spam & Phishing Report, which highlights the following trends:
• Tale of .zip and .html Attachments
• A Phishing Scam Linked to “High School Musical”
• Phishers Target Automotive Sales Brands
• International Spam Roundup
• August 2010: Spam Subject Line Analysis