Video Screencast Help
Archiving and eDiscovery Community Blog

Strange results when searching for offline files

Created: 30 Oct 2013 • Updated: 29 May 2014
Rob.Wilcox's picture
0 0 Votes
Login to vote

Using Enterprise Vault for File System Archiving is something that I still sometimes get involved in, in my post Symantec career. It doesn't crop up all that often, and, most times I get involved I learn something new. Something that cropped up on the Symantec Connect Forums a few days ago is something that I saw on one of my environments a few weeks ago.

The issue relates to results when performing a search.

I still use a rough old Windows XP workstation to do most of my testing on, since it is pretty quick in a Virtual Machine. So I hit an issue where I was searching for a file that I knew was archived, but no results were coming back when I searched based on the name of the file.

Low and behold it is a known issue, and document in this technote.

This is what I did:

Image1_2.png

You see some files with the word OFFLINE in their name.

And then I search for it...

Image2_2.png

But on Windows 7:

Image3_0.png

And I get no results. The technote offers a couple of solutions/workaround to the issue, but for me it was just enough to know that I wasn't going mad or had broken something!