At Symantec, employees are key players in the success and expansion of our corporate responsibility (CR) program. As part of the community relations team, I feel incredibly lucky to experience first-hand the tremendous efforts our employees put forth to support our CR strategy and corporate values both through their jobs and personal time.
It is for this reason the impact our company has through volunteering and corporate philanthropy has continued to grow and expand year over year. For example:
- We increased recorded employee volunteer hours 23 percent fiscal year over fiscal year. Last year Symantec employees across the globe collectively logged over 31,800 volunteer hours, a 23 percent increase over the previous year. Activities ranged from raising awareness about child homelessness to promoting gender diversity to ensuring opportunities for disadvantaged youth and inspiring our future engineering and science talent.
- In FY15 we’ve set a new goal to increase tracked volunteer hours by an additional 20%
- A huge highlight this year was entering the world of International Corporate Volunteering (ICV) programs with the Symantec Service Corps. In February 2014, a 10-person team from seven different locations, traveled to Arequipa, Peru to provide expertise to local non-profits in key business areas including marketing, accounting, and human resources. The team spent a month on the ground. Check out the video of this incredible journey here!
|Symantec enters into the world of International Corporate Volunteering (ICV) programs with the Symantec Service Corps inaugural trip to Arequipa, Peru. Check out a summary of their work and experiences in this SymantecTV video.|
- We now have employee-led Green Teams at 16 sites worldwide and they are constantly organizing events and initiatives to help us meet our environmental goals. For example, the Green Teams recently launched the “One Mug, One Planet” campaign aiming to reduce paper cup usage by 15% at select sites, and encouraging all employees to use a reusable mug. Employees are sharing their “mug shots” on Twitter using #1mug1planet – let’s see yours!
|Employees show off their reusable mugs after signing Symantec’s “One Mug, One Planet” pledge and committing to eliminate their use of disposable cups.|
- Each quarter we highlight outstanding efforts in volunteering through our Volunteer of Quarter.
- We continue to offer a competitive benefits program to encourage and maximize volunteer and philanthropic efforts. These include our Matching Gift, Dollars for Doers, and Nonprofit Board Service Programs.
- Our employees have formed a network of committees focused on volunteerism with quarterly themes aligning with our philanthropic focus areas. In Q1, they focus on environmental volunteerism; in Q2, diversity-related volunteerism; in Q3, online safety and cybercrime; and in Q4, STEM education or equal access to education.
- Last year, with the help of regional sites, we conducted our first global waste audit. Through this constructive analysis and feedback we were able to help sites understand their waste streams and opportunities to minimize them, helping us reduce our global waste footprint.
To our employees, thank you for your dedication and for making Symantec a standout company and place to work!
For more information on our volunteer and philanthropy efforts, please contact:
- Community relations and philanthropy: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Green Teams, One Mug, One Planet campaign: email@example.com
Lora Phillips is Symantec’s Senior Manager, Global Corporate Responsibility.