Symantec Intelligence Report: September 2011
Social Engineering Attacks Soar as Polymorphic Malware Rate Peaks at 72% of Email Malware in September; Cyber Criminals Ambush Popular Blogging Platform to Push Pills
Welcome to the September edition of the Symantec Intelligence report which, combining the best research and analysis from the Symantec.cloud MessageLabs Intelligence Report and the Symantec State of Spam & Phishing Report, provides the latest analysis of cyber security threats, trends and insights from the Symantec Intelligence team concerning malware, spam, and other potentially harmful business risks. The data used to compile the analysis for this combined report includes data from August and September 2011.
- Spam – 74.8 percent in September (a decrease of 1.1 percentage points since August 2011): page 11
- Phishing – One in 447.9 emails identified as phishing (a decrease of 0.26 percentage points since August 2011): page 14
- Malware – One in 188.7 emails in September contained malware (an increase of 0.04 percentage points since August 2011): page 16
- Malicious Web sites – 3,474 Web sites blocked per day (an increase of 1.0 percent since August 2011): page 17
- 44.6 percent of all malicious domains blocked were new in September (an increase of 10.0 percentage points since August 2011): page 17
- 14.5 percent of all Web-based malware blocked was new in September (a decrease of 2.9 percentage points since August 2011): page 17
- Malicious emails masquerade as office printer messages: page 2
- Spammers exploit WordPress vulnerability to promote pharmaceutical spam Web sites: page 2
- Fake Offers with Fake Trust Seals: page 8
- Best Practices for Enterprises and Users: page 20
Download the full report by clicking on the link below.