Symantec Solution for Big Data Featured in IDC Link
IDC analysts Jean S. Bozman and Laura DuBois published their latest analysis from Symantec Vision conference. In the May 15th IDC LINK (subscription required) they had this to say about Symantec solution (bold text mine)
Big Data. Symantec is readying a product that leverages its clustering file system (CFS) to manage Hadoop-style workloads for the enterprise, through compatible APIs. The solution, which is designed to enable datacenters to leverage open-source Hadoop for enterprise workloads with high availability, will use customers' existing infrastructure. Although the broad outlines for this offering were discussed at VISION during technical sessions, this product would be introduced later this year.
If I may call out the key points from IDC's message,
- Leveraging CFS and Adding High Availability: Symantec's Cluster File System is the high-performance file system for fastest failover of applications and databases. By leveraging CFS we improved Hadoop cluster availability beyond a single NameNode. As long as there is at least one node active in the cluster, the cluster is available for applications.
- Hadoop-style workloads: We recognize the power of Hadoop and the types of analytics it enables. Enterprises seek to deploy the power of Hadoop to drive their business decisions. This solution will enable enterprises run Hadoop right on their CFS cluster.
- Compatible API: With this solution, we don't create yet another distribution but work within the modular architecture of Hadoop's Java classes. By providing an implementation for FileSystem interface we are able to make this seamless change possible. Since our implementation is protocol compatible with HDFS, it is transparent to higher layers.
- Using Existing Infrastructure: Customers want to unlock value from data they already have. That should not require them to build a new infrastructure just for the sake of running analytics. This solution enable them leave the data where it is and make the most out of their existing investment.
- Release Date: We will have this product ready later this year. If you are interested in getting early access for your environment, please sign up here.