Symantec System Recovery 2013 Supports Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8
Created: 22 May 2013 | Updated: 13 Nov 2013 | 1 comment
SSR 2013 supports Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 including new features introduced in this release of Windows.
Following are the new features of Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 supported by SSR 2013
- Support for Volumes created on Storage pools
- SSR 2013 recognizes volumes created from Storage Pools. It can backup and restores these volumes like physical volumes in the system. SSR 2013 also detects physical disks that make Storage Pools. These disks are not exposed through SSR 2013 during target selection.
- However SSR 2013 does not backup/restore store pool configuration information. End user will have to create virtual disk/ spaces manually before SSR 2013 can restore volumes to these disks. Symantec System Recover Disk (SSRD) 2013 now contains PowerShell cmdlets to create/configure storage pools.
- SSR 2013 also supports cold backup of storage pools volumes.
- Dedupe support
- With Windows Server 2012 dedup can be enabled for NTFS data volumes. SSR 2013 can backup and restore such volumes without rehydrating data deduped in these volumes.
- Backup of dedup volume taken from SSR 2013 can only be restored to Windows server 2012.
- Dedup volumes can only be restored using SSR 2013 Console and not from Recovery Environment. Please note that since dedup volume on a locally attached disk cannot be used from Recovery Environment, do not store backup of system/boot volumes to local dedup volume. SSR 2013 Recovery Environment however can see dedup volumes over the Network.
- Resilient File System (REFS) support
- SSR 2013 supports smart-sector image level full backups (no incremental yet) and restores of REFS volumes.
- iSCSI Virtual Disk volume Backup / Restore Support:
- SSR 2013 supports backup of volumes created on iSCSI virtual disk. SSR 2013 can also restore to iSCSI virtual disk. SSRD 2013 contains Powershell cmdlets to connect to iSCSI targets.
- Hyper-V v3 support:
- SSR 2013 supports backup and restore of Hyper-V v3 VMs from within the guests.